Kinetic Clutch Problem

David Dowell /

I have a 03 TFR-USA model and the latest thing to "fall" off is the clutch weight assembally. Should I tourqe the bolt that holds this all together down?? if so how many lbs?? it works fine for about 5 miles then it comes loose and throws the crank shaft outta wack and causes some massive knocking inside. Thanks for any help and suggestions hopefully someone here can help, cuz the lady at cosmo is a "not so nice person" to say the least.

Re: Kinetic Clutch Problem

Does your TFR have a thin flat round washer behind the nut that holds the clutch on the drive shaft?

This washer is supposed to be belt over one side edge of the nut to keep the nut from coming loose from vibration and centrifugal force.

David Dowell /

if your not talkin about a lock washer then no, the other washer is flater then west virginia roadkill

Various types of lock washers are used when torquing is not required or not desired. The idea is to tighten it just until the lock washer is compressed.

If stuff is getting loose and falling off, find a manual and see if some parts are missing or assembled wrong or something.

hmm.. i take that back.. After thinking about it i can remember a few bolts that have lock washers and also have torque ratings..

but the rest stands.. get a manual and see if something is assembled incorrectly or if something is missing.

It should be a flat aluminum washer, not a lock washer. It is thin so it can be bent over like shown in the attached drawing

Sorry about tha, here is a jpg image

It should be a flat aluminum washer, not a lock washer. It is thin so it can be bent over like shown in the attached drawing

1084399292_kinetc_clutch_nut.jpg

David Dowell /

nothing like that on the 'ped or on the parts diagram. right now red locktight is doing the job since its my only means of transportation. Not sure if thats a long term fix but gives me time to get a) the part that would fix it or b) rig up a solution to fix it.

look at the threaded shaft that the nut goes on.. Does it have a flat spot or is it perfectly round?

If it has a flat side, it's probably there to accomodate a lock washer. That flat prevents the lock washer from turning. (The washer would have a complimentary flat instead of a completely round hole in it ) If the lock washer cannot turn, the nut cannot turn when a part of the washer is bent over the nut.

Cut a circle out of thin steel. Make it a bit larger in diameter than the nut. Cut a hole in this washer that matches the shaft.

Put the washer on, then the nut, and then bend the washer over a flat on the nut.

David Dowell /

does anyone have a pic of this washer?? cuz im kinda having a hard time picturing it since i dont have one on my bike

sketch of lockwsher

If the shaft has a flat (or flats) this type of lockwsher will work.

Tighten the nut and then bend the edge of the washer over the nut's flat side.. use something like a scrwedriver and a hammer to bend the washer's edge over the nut.. maybe just a pair of pliers will do it..

Since the washer can't turn on the shaft, the nut cannot loosen.

1084484807_lockwasher2.jpg

Re: sketch of lockwsher

David Dowell /

the shaft is flat enough to hold the clutch not a washer

going to try a new lock washer to see if that will fix the problem

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account