fix-a-flat?

how hard is it to replace a tire tube on a moped? harder than a bicycle? what are the steps generally? what are the conditions when you have to change the actual tire? and finally, what is dry-rot and what does it look like?

Re: fix-a-flat?

Katie,

Fixing a flat is not too hard on a moped. It is pretty similar to fixing a bike tire. I have found it easier to use the larger tire irons for dirt bikes and such. When you put the new tube in you want to be sure not to let it get pinched by the tire or it will cause a new leak and a new headache! It is more of a headache to remove the rear tire and reinstall it than the actual process of replacing the tube.

1.) Remove wheel from moped.

2.) Work one side of the tire over the rim of the wheel using a tire iron.

3.)Pull tube out.

4.) Insert new tube carefully and make sure it is seated correctly.

5.) Work tire back over the wheel rim being careful not to pinch the tube. Double check and make sure.

6.) Fill it up a little bit with air and deflate to make sure it is sitting right. I usually do this several times...fill and let it out.

Patrik Engberg /

dont forget to make sure your valve steam is not crooked when you air it up, if that gets a punture or cut the whole tube is trashed.

If you have difficulty gettig the tire rim over the wheel rim, try usig two tire irons 6 to 8 iches apart. I find this makes the job a lot easier. Also a second pair of hands can make things easier. If your irons aren't smooth/rounded, don't be afraid to take a metal file to them to round off all edges. It does't take much to pinch a hole into an inner tube. Lubricating the iner tube, and even the rim, with liquid dish soap can also make the job go more smoothly.

Katie James /

where can i get a tire iron? and what is it exactly?

Um, any Sears, auto parts store or department, JC Whitney mail order, etc.

Think of it as a big metal tongue depressor; the ones I have are about 1 inch wide, 10 inches long and 3/16" thick, aluminum alloy. The workig end is slightly flattened to better wiggle between the tire and rim.

There's another tire tool that's also very useful: It's a metal rod about 1 inch diameter with a bite taken out of the side near one end. After you open a gap with the tire iron(s), you insert this, with the notch facing the rim so it doesn't slip out. You bang the side of this with a hammer to scoot it around the rim, working the tire off the rim.

Here's a link to whitney's offerings, so you can get an idea:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=3038&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&storeId=10101

hmm.. after thinking about it, i see this is sorta like describing how to tie a shoelace.. If there is someone who can show you , you'll see how simple changing a tire is.

Not to say it's always easy. Sometimes it takes some strength to leverage the tire irons, and get that last bit of tire over the rim. It depends on how your tires fit your rims. I have a set of short plastic bicycle-type tire "irons" and they work on this moped because the fit is loose compared to other bikes..

99% of good technique is to take care that you don't pinch an inner tube and end up with a flat tire. Careful placement of the iron as you work your way , little by little, around the rim is whats needed.

A bit of soapy water is helpful to reduce friction but the soap remains there and it's slippery.. Friction is the only thing stopping the tire from spinning around the rim, tearing the valve stem right off the innertube like during an emergency braking situation.

Professional tire changers use something called 'tire mounting fluid". After this stuff dries it is very tacky and theres no danger of spinning a tire. I prefer to use nothing at all for lubrication on these little tires.

Katie,

You might want Josh to show you or I am around this weekend if you need help.

-Fred

Katie,

Most motorcycle shops have tire irons and you can always find a set on ebay if you don't have a M/C shop nearby.

The Pedhead

Katie James /

Hi fred, I'll be around this weekend too, i don't have a flat tire, i was just wondering how to do it since i had one before and had to pay someone to do it, which is bad. but i could really use help with figuring out why it won't run properly, i guess cleaning out the fuel lines or something. any time this weekend is good for me except sunday night. I really don't think i should go at it myself becuase i have no idea what im doing. call me or email me if you have time! thanks!

how can u fix a flat without a tire iron? can you do it just like a bike? screw driver and help?

Well in theory you can (because the principle is identical), but it's very much not recommended. 1) The tires are smaller diameter, so there's less opportunity than with a bicycle to use a little bit of stretch to get the edge of the tire over the rim. 2) The tire's rim is less stretchy to begin with so it takes a lot more force, 3) Any but the beefiest screw driver might bend, and 4) it's very very easy to puncture the tube with the corner of the screwdriver. If you have a fried to help, have 2 or 3 really big screwdrivers, wrap the end in masking tape to improve your chances regarding puncturing the inner tube, and are willing to be very very careful, you might just get away with it. But go through an inner tube or 2 and you've spent as much as buying a couple of tire irons, so it's really not the best approach.

The procedure, however, is very similar.

and finally, what is dry-rot and what does it look like?

the sides of the tire will have small hairline cracks all over it

also in some cases will crumble when rubbed, definitely do'nt ride if you think your tires maybe dry rotted.

Patrik Engberg /

you can get flat fixer kit that comes w/ 2 little tire irons and they work okay, one holds the tire open leaveing a gap for the other to actually take the tire off. I got mine a Wall-mart

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account