suzuki fa 50 help

When I apply the throttle it rpm's up then dies I cant get it to move but a couple of mph with the choke pulled in the start postion but when I give it gas it dies

Re: suzuki fa 50 help

Dirty carb,Ray. The passages inside have gotten clogged or varnish is present. Outside chance(very slim) spark plug is bad.don-ohio

Thanks should I take the carb off and give it a good cleaning?

Yes....... take the float bowl off, remove the float and needle valve, and start clearing EVERY passage with carb cleaner spray and IF necessary, a fine brass strand of wire from say a 22 gauge `stranded' piece of wire. Make sure there's absolutely NO dirt or anything in that float bowl or on the needle valve or float when you re-assemble it.

Because if you don't, you'll be `stranded' just like the 22 gauge wires! LOL! don-ohio

Thanks, I did all that, and I still have the same problem, could there be some other problem?

does it have an air filter on it?

does it have exhaust?

Yes it has an air filter and an exhaust

Look for an air inleakage if you know the carb is clean,Ray. Check all connections that could inleak air and also check the base gasket if you can get it running. Do the WD40 spray thing around all connections to check for an air leak. don-ohio

It will start and run but no power at all pull on the throttle and it dies like its flooding out, is the wd40 thing the same as the soap test?

Soap testing is done to detect OUT leakages. When WD40 is sprayed on an INleakage and gets suked into the combustionmix, the idle speed will change,up or down, and you know that area's gasket is letting air in. See? don-ohio (:^)

Thanks agian don-ohio, I did the wd40 test and when I finelly got it started and sprayed there was no change but after a few min of sitting idle it died, couldnt get it started agian untill I changed the postion of the petcock and then it started but only for a few min. Is there something in the petcock that could be stopping the flow of gas?

This suggeestion won't solve your problem, but it will make seeing fuel flow easier. Switch from black fuel line to clear and you can have a better visual for your fuel flow.

I'm getting fuel to the carb but it still boogs down when throttle is wide open, could the carb be shot? or throttle cable bad?

Is it possible that the problem is electrical in nature? Maybe the electric system is only good for low rpms and breaks down at higher revs. Just a thought. Nothing else seems to work.

Thanks, do you have any suggistions on where to start on that?

One other thing could it be possible that I'm not getting the right mixture of gas and oil? Should I try to add some 2-cycle oil to the gas and see if that will help?

The manual shows how to test the electric components or have a motorcycle/small engine shop test the spark plug wire for soundness. I know failing plug wires can operate at low rpms, but break down at higher rpms. The same for other components prior to failure. That's about all I know.

I'd say "No", how about you, Don?

i have a couple fa50s, they all seem to have very touchy carbs. i don't know exactly what your problem there would be, i haven't had that one yet. if you need any parts or advice on rebuilding the carb, let me know. i have some service manuals and such..

i attached a .gif file of an exploded view of the carb. it should be quite helpful.

1084919654_su0042_006.gif

i have a couple fa50s, they all seem to have very touchy carbs. i don't know exactly what your problem there would be, i haven't had that one yet. if you need any parts or advice on rebuilding the carb, let me know. i have some service manuals and such..

i attached an exploded view of the carb for you. it should be helpful..

Thanks agian,

I have taken the carb off and cleaned it along with the petcock, I was able to get it to fire and when I gave it some gas it died agian and after that I have been unable to get it to fire back up I put a new plug in and it still wont crank any ideas?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account