tomos ignition

Adam Sattler /

Hi all,

New to forum, so thanks all for your help in advance.

I inherited a tomos bullet last year. wasn't running. I traced it to no spark. pulled the flywheel and lightly filed the points.

Got spark and got it running. This year tried to start it and same problem. I've been told that sanding them down usually only works for a while as you remove some sort protective coating. Any how, I had the same problem with an old snowblower motor this year, and brigs and stratton had a magneto type kit to convert the ignition to a more reliable type than the original points and condenser and very easy to install. didn't even have to remove the fly wheel.I would like to know if this is possible to do with this moped motor. some type of aftermarkit conversion or something? or am I stuck having to replace the original points. Do I need a new condenser as well? any way to test?

Best place to get this stuff and other parts for this moped. It is a tomos bullet automatic(thats all it says on it )I think it around an early 80's bike.Looks like this http://www.mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/58/2245/ , and this http://www.mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/58/2589/ , so I' not sure of the year.

Thanks in advance

Adam S

Re: tomos ignition

Adam Sattler /
asat OP

Anybody?

No one makes a 6 volt CDI ignition. If you dont mind rewireing your bike ( using a A35 12volt wireing harness and lights) a A35 Cdi ignition will bolt right up to the A3 motor, I have done it many times. The only down side is the CDI is 12 volt and your system is 6volts. You would need a 12volt harness, cdi ignition parts, 12 volt headlight assembley, voltage regulator, I belive thats it. I have done this before, email with any questions.

-chris

Actually, I did see a 6 volt CDI once,Chris. I am trying to remember where, and I'm thinking it was on the Honda C70 forum as an aftermarket part. don-ohio

Sorry for the misprint, Their is no TOMOS 6 volt CDI ignition,. It is possible other parts from other bikes may work, but I do not normally mix up parts like that.

-chris

Yep.........you're right,Chris........Tomos are 12 volt. I have a Honda C70 Passport that's 6 volt and it's mighty tempting to convert to a CDI ignition, but those bikes were bulletproof even with points ignitions. don-ohio

Oh i know! the c70 and the ct90 where great motors, I had a ct90 a wile ago. I wouldent mess with a conversion, especially if it runs good now, and points are so cheap anyways, They can be apain tho.

-chris

Yeah...........points can be a little trouble after they get about 6K on them, but they will ALMOST always get you home.

They give you a warning........a misfire here..........hard starting..........orange spark.

But if you replace the points and condensor every 7K after filing a few times, you get pretty good service. don-ohio

my yamaha qt50 has a CDI ignition, and yes- it is 6v

but the wiring is insaine on this little bike!!

nick

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account