stranded by motobecane

i totally refurbished my 78 motobecane this winter including a sweet new paint job....well, i didnt touch the engine cause it was running, and im no mechanic....

so we rebuilt the orig. gurtner carb, all new cables, and lined the gas tank...

ive been stranded the last 2 weekends miles away from my house where i shut off the bike cause im at a pit stop, and it just wont start back and its not flooded, it sounds as if there isnt compression when its giving me trouble, but after a few days when i get it running it goes fine....i see there are engine gasket kits online but i dont see the timing tools and stuff to rebuild it........i dont know what to do?

my sis's 76 moto broke down the second weekend and there was lots of chugging and noise in the clutch area, and it was really hard to pedal? please help.

Re: stranded by motobecane

see my topics... search for motobecane v51... or cleaning points... mine seemed that everything was good... but if i stopped or slow down, it choked and drowned. my points were dirty, the spark was weak and the gas flooded the spark plug. and now runs great, see my home movie.

Ricardo, from portugal.

www.motoretas.cjb.net

Let's help Tonia, fellows?

Tonia.....where are you located? There may be someone on here that could help you and your sister. Did you get my e-mail late last night? don-ohio

Tonia Menard /

thanks! i'm on the case.

Re: Let's help Tonia, fellows?

Tonia Menard /

yes thanks!, im in jacksonville, florida.

Okay,Tonia.......I've been thinking about the bike not starting.......mopeds needing fuel,air, compression and spark to run,at least to fire.

I'm wondering if you're getting any fuel at all? Have you removed the line to the carb to see if fuel runs out steadily?

Since you `kreemed' that tank, possibly some kreem or debris plugged your petcock(fuel valve at tank) screen?

If you have fuel there....make sure you replace the spark plug. Need input from you in order to help. THEN maybe more input about Sis's bike too? don-ohio

Tonia Menard /

i havent checked those things since kreeming the tank, i probably wont be able to give more input till after the weekend, im gonna search this forum in the meantime for more solutions, thanks everyone...

i wish more people had your attitude about that wonderful search feature on this forum,Tonia. Stay in touch! I wanted to tell(show) you something, so e-mail me later.I'm home after 8 or 9 PM. don-ohio

this sounds exactly like whats going on with my chappy. very educational...is it a serious problem to fix?

Andrew Smith /

For what it's worth, I'm rapidly discovering that the variator on your moped probably needs lubrication if it's been sitting a while. That would explain the noise from the "clutch area." Put some grease in where those balls are. You may also need to pull the variator cover off and lube the clutch arms, but that requires a special tool. If there's a shop nearby, you could ask them to do it for you.

Not sure about your other problem. These are sure nice-looking mopeds, but they do seem to be a bit of a pain.

Good luck.

Well,Katie........you didn't really pinpoint which problems it had,did you? Forgive me if I'm wrong. I answer so many posts I get them mixed up though I try never to do that. You see......DETAILS are what moped mechanics need. They can make sound judgments with good details.

I think Walky has a fuel delivery problem,but i could be wrong,of course. don-ohio

Andrew Smith /

On that first problem, are you sure your decompression valve isn't sticking open? Next time you have the problem, check by pulling the decompression lever a few times and try to start again. If the valve sticks open, you won't get any compression.

According to the manual, the real way to check the valve is to take off the cylinder head, turn it upside down, and put some 2-stroke oil in it and see if the oil leaks out the other side.

Good luck.

Andrew Smith /

Tonia, Is there any chance that when you turn the knob on the left side to shut the bike off that it is sticking in the off position? The horn is supposed to sound if that is the case, but it might not be working. Check that.

I don't think it's your gaskets, because low compression isn't the kind of thing that comes and goes. You either have it or you don't. And tearing the engine apart to replace gaskets should be a last resort. Pull out the spark plug and put your finger tightly over the hole while someone pedals the bike (don't use the decompression lever). The engine's compression should blow your finger off the hole. If it does, then your compression is good enough. You can also check it with a meter that you can buy at an auto parts store.

Are you sure that the carb is getting enough fuel? You could be using it faster than it's coming in, so you run out and have to wait until it fills again to start it, but that would just happen randomly and not only when you shut it off.

Maybe you can give us a little more info. That's about all I can think of for now.

Good luck.

Thanks for chiming in with some great info., Andrew! Always helps to get several people working on something once they get a good description of the problem.

I think it's something probably simple, but who knows? don-ohio (:^)

Tonia Menard /

thanks everyone for the tips!....as i was telling don before joined this forum is that although i rebuilt my orig.gurtner carb, i have a new delorto carb on the way from steves moped world....in previous forums i had heard that they make a nice difference in idle smoothness and power.....anyways, im printing out all of these emails on motobecane and what you guys have offered and hope to get alot of work done this weekend... maybe by monday i can be more specific about the problems to help out in finding the anwswers!...cheers

Success to you,Tonia! Stay in touch! don-ohio

Dellorto

Andrew Smith /

If you learn more this weekend and want to get more specific, post away. As for that Dellorto, are you getting the 1412 or the 1515? I have a 1412 on mine and, to be honest, it does idle better but I don't see any improvement in power. Anyway, make SURE you get a new gasket to fit between the carb and the intake manifold on the engine...it won't fit without it! Better check with Steve's to make sure that's coming.

Good luck.

Re: Dellorto

Tonia Menard /

hey andrew, the dellorto came yesterday...its the 1515 with a 68 jet, that what the box says....they included the gasket that looks to go between the manifold and the engine...this carb seems much more complicated so im gonna download some diagrams now...when i took it to the garage, i notices that my gurtner was leaking from the air box area, i had my petcock off.....i hope this is the fix?

Re: Dellorto

Tonia Menard /

i meant to say that the petcock was in the off position, and i hope the dellorto is the fix as far as a leaky carb....i guess i'll find out once i put it on?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account