Ciao Issues

Michael Miehle /

I have a Ciao with an odd problem, Make it two odd problems, First when pedals the pedals have a ruff spot it is at the same point after a full rotation of the crank. My understanding is that this part of the bike is completely seperated from the rest of the bike any ideas before I pull the crank off? And the bigger problem, It burned the starting clutch, the starting clutch shoes were completely glazed over so I ruffed them up with some emery paper and it started (once) then they were burnt again. Are they just too worn and need replaceing? So I started looking further and noticed that the engine is a little more difficult to turn over than my other ciao Is this just a sign of good compression or something worse? Anyone ever hear of this before?

Re: Ciao Issues

Bruce Wilkinson /

Make sure that your rear wheel has not come loose. It's not hard to take the crank off and check for rust on the shaft binding it.

Did you clean off any rust on the inside of the clutch drum surface ? The pads may be worn to the point where they are not grabbing and just sliding. bruce

Michael Miehle /

I opened it up and looked at it, the shoes looked clean but shiny almost glassy. The drum surface was not rusty at all, but it was very smooth. I have a haynes manual that says to renew the surfaces with emery paper but doesn't recommend a specific grit. I used 220 grit on the shoes and it started once but then had smoothed out again. Are the starting and main clutches available? Can I replace just the shoes? Thanks, Mike

Bruce Wilkinson /

Yes the shoes can be purchased from Vespasupershop but Fabio is not answering his mail for some reason. I would also order the two small springs that hold the shoes together. Try and see if Zippy Mopeds has the parts. You said you had two Ciaos ? Try switching the front pulleys and see what happens. bruce

Michael Miehle /

I switched the shoes out and it seemed to fix the problem but the engine on the problem bike it much stiffer when turning over than the non-problem bike. I just want to make sure I don't burn out a set of new shoes, to find out what the real problem is. Thanks for your help, mike.

Michael Miehle /

How do I get in touch with Zippy?

Bruce Wilkinson /

Michael Miehle /

I figured out what was wrong with the crank, the pin for the crank was replaced with a screw so it was moving enouogh to give it an uneven feel. The engine was a different story it had to be completely disassembled to remove a foriegn object for the crank case. A thin piece of sheet metal with a tiny rivet, No idea how it got in there but it sure makes a difference having it removed.

Bruce Wilkinson /

" the pin for the crank' Is that the peddle crank your'e talking about ? You had to split the crankcase ? I've never done that , Did you need the special tool to do that ? Glad you were able to fix it. bruce

Michael Miehle /

Yes, the pedal crank the previous owner jammed a regular bolt in and it left a little play. I don't know if this is the best way to split the crank but if you have two people one can hold the larger half of the crank and the second person uses a light rubber mallet to tap the end of the shaft that the clutch goes on. This caused the crankcase to open evenly and slow. The hanyes manual says you should use the factory crank case splitter but I don't know where to get it and this worked for me. Also I removed the flywheel first.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account