honda pa-50II brakes

Garrett Bobb /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

howdy all-

I'm having some trouble with my 1979 pa-50II (well there are a number of problems, but this is by far the most pressing at the moment) my rear brake had been squeaking for a while, and I also had to tighten it up a bit to get it to help stop me. now it appears to be sticking, as I can hear it scrape sometimes when I ride, and it prevents me from rolling the ped very easily with the drive belt disengaged.

So, to check this out I put it up on the stand and spun the pedals, and the back tire spun freely. I hit the brake, the wheel stops, and now it wont turn freely. If I loosen the brake adjuster or wiggle that little break arm around, it starts to spin freely again.

My question, as a VERY poor college student who uses this contraption to get to class, is what really is the problem here? Is something just sticking, that could be fixed with some lube, or could it be that the brake pad is busted, which was my roommate's thought, as something similar happened to his car.

If I do need to replace something, should I just go to a honda dealer for the parts? I'm confident I could do the repair myself, but how much do you think the parts would cost?

Thank you for reading this long post,

DH

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account