technical question about combustion chamber

Dave Chudak /

My question is,

Are these rough spots in the combustion chamber necessary(shown in the picture) ? i would think that they would negatively effect performance, but don't want to file them down, until i find out why it is like that in the first place.

is it rough for a reason? aggitate air inside chamber for a better mix maybe? i dunno... i just don't want to file them off, and find out that they are important..

thanks

1082667130_roughspots.jpg

Re: technical question about combustion chamber

John Joedicke /

Looks like it kind of hot in there or else the bike has been sitting a long long time and corrosion was working on the aluminium. Polish it.

positive?

Dave Chudak /

are you sure i should grind it off, and polish it..?? i don't want to wreck it. i am not sure how modifying the combustion chamber effects the dynamics of the engine..

it just looks like it was originally like that,... so i am wondering if i should take it off... i am not sure that it is corrosion... it was carbonized the worst there though, before i cleaned it...

Jason Luther /

i would leave them, if you polish them out , youd be adding more volume, therefor less compression. its not like your ports where airflow is being obstructed or anything.-jason

Christian Hanner /

looks like rough metal forging to me. Leave it.

Christian Hanner

You can at least polish everything else and the bumps if you want...but don't grind it down because you will loose compression a lot.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account