complete novice...how do i start my moped?

I just got my moped a few days ago. it is a foxi gt from the mid to late 70's. Maybe a 76, 77? I don't know how to start it. i'm guessing the left lever is the clutch, but i don't know. I've never ridden one of these things before.

Re: complete novice...how do i start my moped?

Here's a post from Zippy about Foxis and who to contact.

ZIPPY says: `Check with Shaun at Myron's mopeds. He is pretty much an authority on the Foxi. He has one that was recently featured on my site.

His number is 714-992-5591

Good Luck

Zippy' End Quote. don-ohio

The Foxis use Sachs engines, which are started by pulling the clutch lever to engage the clutch (though once started, you do not need to pull the lever again to engage it--it's an automatic).

So:

1. Turn power switch on.

2. Turn fuel valve (petcock) on gas tank to On or Reserve (reserve just draws fuel from the very bottom of your tank rather than slightly higher up)

3. Pull the clutch lever and pedal until the engine engages and turns over several times. It should start now (though you may need to use the choke and give it a little gas).

I'd like to challenge Shaun regarding his status as the Foxi Authority. I believe may have him beat :)

and dont forget once the engine starts let go of the clutch lever

Well......you're challenging Zippy, not me. But I'm glad we have you experts here........and Zippy knows a lot about them too. don-ohio (:^)

Jason Luther /

and dont pull the clutch lever thinking its the brake. trust me, its not a fun ride.-jason

Good to have a another Foxi resource on the forum to help out Alex.

BTW Shaun holds the land speed record for a 50cc engine he built, 93 mph. It rev'ed to about 8000 rpms and sounded like a swarm of angry Africain bees.

Wasn't a Foxi though.

Just a foot note don...

He has a new number... If you call the old number you get Myrons Extreem Machines (gopeds & pocket bikes)

The new number is (714) 992-5592

Alan

Hehe,

Yup... & he still owns the bike. It is still at his shop. :-)

Alan

What do you do to a moped to get it going 90mph?

Speaking of Myron's mopeds, at some point in my Foxi's early life, it passed through Myron's mopeds, there's a sticker still on the rear fender :)

Christian Hanner /

put a motorcycle engine on it. Perhaps.

Christian Hanner

"What do you do to a moped to get it going 90mph?"

Pedal like hell.

Shaun was raised in the worlds of Motorcycles so he knew engines very well. He also had an engineering friend from Rockwell Int'l who worked on the space orbitor. So between Shaun and his rocket scientist buddy they machined and blue printed the engine so it was perfectly balanced and used racing parts.

Attached is picture of one of Shaun's bikes 100cc that hold a land speed record.

1082771344_landspeed3.jpg

Zippy...looking at that pic, 100cc's making those speed records makes 50cc's doing 90mph sound ludicrous. Are you sure it was 90?

you know.. I've always been curious as to what a swarm of angry african bees sounded like.. I certainly wish I were there to hear it myself.. but thats just like me.. always in the wrong place at the right times..

timmy

I stand corrected. I reread the article, only 85 mph on a 50cc.

1082785942_50cc80mp_640_480.jpg

a-Ha! I knew it was too good to be true.

Yep a snail's pace measely 85 mph.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account