1973 Garelli Gran Sport Troubleshooting

I have just a acquired a 1973 Garelli Gran Sport moped. It is a 49cc model, has 500 miles, and side baskets on it. It has been in storage (in a garage) since 1987. I could not put down the offer when my friend said that he would give it to me free of charge.

This is the first moped that I have had, so I'm still new to this. However, I have ridden them several times before, and I know the basic functions.

I know that the engine takes a oil/gas pre-mix, but I do not, however, know the exact oil:gas ratio. When I received the moped, there was still some gas in it. I tried to start it up once I had some time last Sunday. On the first kick, the engine did not even sputter. I tried a few more times, and finally got it to start.

It smoked like a banshee when it was first up, but died down later. I was wondering if anyone knew what the problems could be for the engine not starting up right away, and what I could do to make it much easier on me and the moped.

Both the headlight and taillights worked, however, the blinkers did not. I was told by the previous owner that the blinkers ran off of a battery on the side. I presume that the blinkers did not work due to the battery. I have no idea if inside the battery there are slots for other batteries, or if I have to get and entirely new battery. I would like to know what batteries it takes and if not, where I could find a new battery that is the same size as the stock one.

Also (just for laughs and giggles), I would like to know if the Gran Sport has the ability to ride a second person on the rear deck.

Thank you for your reply.

Re: 1973 Garelli Gran Sport Troubleshooting

Leon Swarmer /

Welcome to the gang Greg,

First of all a new spark plug properly gapped does wonders.

Check Fred’s Guide under articles. It is amazing how many answers are found there.

http://mopedarmy.com/resources/articles/fredsguide/

Riding double is illegal in some states.

My 75 Garelle Eureka has no battery at all. No turn signals either. 'Sounds like you got a great deal though.

Is this a box battery with three fill holes on the top?

Leon

Re: 1973 Garelli Gran Sport Troubleshooting

Be careful it's not like a Honda, and blows the headlight bulb if there's no battery installed. No, don't ride 2 normal-sized adults, but an adult and a kid up to 70 lbs. might be alright for short trips in slow traffic. don-ohio

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account