AMF Roadmaster, what to steal motor parts from?

Picked up a AMF Roadmaster with a spent engine. Plastic crankcover is cracked, missing carb. Piston bore is scored.

What McCulloch engines can I steal parts from to get this thing running again? Parts for this moped seem scarce, but old chainsaws are plentiful... I'd like to find a mild overbore piston and carb that will work on this block.

If I'm wasting my time trying to get this thing running, by all means let me know. All this assumes the electrics still work (I want to get the piston out of the block before cranking over the motor fast enough to check spark.)

Thanks.

Re: AMF Roadmaster, what to steal motor parts from

Hmm, there's no way to edit the above...

Additional info: this appears to be a late-70's AMF moped, with the rear tire driven by a friction drum mounted over the top of the motor. The motor is made by McCulloch, which is why I'm trying to figure out if I can use more readily available chainsaw parts in the repair.

Well..........in my opinion they aren't much to start with. But to each his own. I'd take the piston to a small engine repair and have them look at the piston and cyl. if you REALLY want to go to all that trouble. don-ohio

This is a slow project that I'm not in any hurry on. I just don't want to spend much on it.

I've got to believe that McCulloch didn't tool up new pistons and rods for these engines. There should be some model of one of their more prolific products (like chainsaws) that use common parts.

I'll probably just end up hauling the entire thing into a saw shop and asking around, but I thought it was worth doing some research beforehand.

I don't think you'll have much luck modifying another McCollugh motor.

There is a possibility that I can get a whole engine you you.

I have 5 AMF mopeds -- all running now, and I have been scrounging parts here and there for several years now.

What is the condition of the rest of the bike? For instance - the throttle mechanism? This mechanism has been a problem for the AMF bikes since day 1, and was one of the first items Unavailable, because of over demand for repair parts.. I have now found a pretty good method for repairing these mechanisms, and I look for AMF throttle mechanisms whereever I can find them.

Most of the bike is missing, which is why if I can't get the motor running cheaply (which looks like it is the case) I'll just part out what I have. The bike consists of two working drum brake wheels/tires, the frame (no fork) with the engine and engine mounting hardware attached (but no carb or controls.) Since most of the missing stuff can be scrounged from either a bicycle or a parts motorcycle, I was going to see if I could get the engine going first, then start scrounging the rest of the parts. I like to build one-off stuff, so I tend to see basket cases (like this) as blank slates.

Got the piston out, the bore and piston are galled but the cylinder could be rebored. Piston measures 1.494" diam (1.5") with a .374" wrist pin (3/8") and a .762 compression height. So metric pistons won't work, due to the wrist pin size, and I have no idea what would use an english piston of this size.

My current plan is to check the electricals (to see if they work/spark) and part it out.

where are you located? If you are in Michigan, i would buy the whole bike from you- i want to make a custom bike.

Nick

I'm in Canton, about 20 minutes NE of Ann Arbor. Drop me an email at noiseguy2@yahoo.com and we can talk offline.

Norm Boddy /

I would be interested in purchasing a bike or parts. I live in Washington. Please reply. Thanks Norm

Norm Boddy /

Would you know where I can find a good cyclinder and a carb? Can you tell me how much oil to use in the gas? Thanks Norm B

Iiiiiiiii Died /

i have a roadmaster also

I have seen Roadmaster parts on Ebay fairly frequently. You should be able to find something eventually.

Norm

The mixture ratio for AMF mopeds is 40/1

George Mikesell /

You can buy complete motors for the AMF Roadmaster with McCulloch motor, or short block,and Carb kit or Complete. At R&d May Co Bloomfield in. I personally am looking for twist throttle for 78 AMF Roadmasster, and need to know about lioght switch and horn switch, Don't have either one but must have because has both on moped, can you help me out? If you have or know of info. please contact me at gmikesell@nckcn.com, or George Mikesell 644 Republic Rd. Jamestown, ks, 66948

Would you like to sell the throttle cable?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account