Sparta Moped Problems

Matt Moore /

I have a 73 sparta moped and i am having some problems. I can get my moped to start and it runs fine. If for some reason it shuts down whether it stalls or i shut it down. it will not start for some where around 30 minutes. Anyone have any idea on where i should start.

Re: Sparta Moped Problems

That sounds like the spark is getting weak.......possibly a bad condensor or bad spark plug wire or spark PLUG. Always change out the plug.

Hopefully it's not a leaky crankseal? don-ohio

Matt Moore /

Well when i first got the bike the first thing that happened was the spark plug flew out of the bike. So i know the spark plug is new so you think it may be the wire or condensor. IS there anyway to test them

If the spark plug FLEW out,it may have jerked the insulator boot loose somewhat from the plug wire. Yeah, you can check `em. Just do a `search' or just buy a new condensor and keep the old one for a spare if it turns out it wasn't the problem.

Parts substitution is a very good troubleshooting method,yannow? don-ohio

Matt Moore /

Well i think it was the plug i found the old plug the only problem with it was the gap was touching i opened it up with my knife. When the new plug wouldnt start up the bike i put the old one in and it fired right up. Im wondering if maybe i fouled up the plug or autozone sold me the wrong plug. If i was fouling it up how can i keep it from happening again. DO you think my oil mixtrue was to strong thanks don

Wrong plug can be VERY serious,Matt. Get the exact cspark plug. Generally,a gap of .020 up to .025' is excellent unleeas it is an electronic ignition. don

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account