Tomos A3 1980

J. Alvarez /

Desperately seeking help on the following problems:

1) Changed the tranny oil and now the s.o.b. is leaking it out. It drips down the sprocket side!? Is it time to see the ped doctor or can I deal with it myself?

2) Does not want to go faster than 10-12 mph and it doesn't kick into 2nd gear. Really, really sluggish....

Both of these problems seem somewhat related.

Re: Tomos A3 1980

You overfilled it.Causes all your stated probs.

I think it only takes 8 oz.total after complete draining. There is a check plug in the tranny side cover. Fill it only until it runs out that plug. Okay? don-ohio

J. Alvarez /
tiny OP

Is the 'check' plug different from the 'fill' plug? Cuz I filled the ped with oil until it overflowed from the 'fill' plug.

YES! That's what I'm saying....the fill plug is only to make it easier to pour into........but the fill level check plug tells you how much. You gotta loosen that side plug and let it drain out `til it quits. Okay? don-ohio (:^)

J. Alvarez /
tiny OP

You nailed it on the head 'don-ohio'. Incidentally, I originally added about 1.25-quarts of oil to the tranny. Talk about overkill!!

Yeah......common mistake so don't feel bad at all, Tiny. Enjoy that `shifty' feelin' now! don-ohio (:^)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account