PLEASE HELP MY 1980 HONDA PA50

Anthony Castellanos /

ok i bought this honda not running for $200 but thats a good deal in virginia ok so i let my friends dad do some work on it now it runs kinda. he cleaned the carb and jet checked the float replaced all the hoses bought a new spark plug and cleaned the air filter. now heres the problem one just to start the moped i have to have the choke on and if the choke turns of the moped dies and if its idleing and i turn the choke off it dies. next problem everytime i try to accel. the moped bogs down and would die. so people if you have any pieces of advice please help. here of the things i have tryed i have tryed losening the gas cap and thats about it. the moped runs for 10 minutes at the most.

Re: PLEASE HELP MY 1980 HONDA PA50

Sounds like to you are getting too much air.

On the same side of the carb where the choke lever is, there are two screws. One is the Throttle stop screw and the other Pilot or air mixture screw. The Pilot screw is the one that goes into the carb at a slight angle and the Throttle Stop screw goes into the carb straight and level.

Get the bike started and running on the center stand and let it run for a couple of minutes to reach normal operating temp. You may have to leave the choke on to keep it running.

Screw the Pilot screw in or out until the speed or rpms increase to the highest possible rpms.

Now use the Throttle Stop screw to reduce the idle to about 1800 rpms or until the bike will idle without the choke being on.

You may have to try this several times until you can keep it running WITHOUT the choke being on.

Also check the air filter in the little slide out tray on the left side of the frame just behind the engine and between the belt.

There should be a sponge rubber type filter that may have deteriorated with age. You need to take this out and clean it in gas and then rubbing it with 30 wt oil and squeeze out the excess. The the foam rubber is shot, order a new one or make one out of similar foam rubber and the same thickness

Wouldn't you know it'd be ZIPPY helping that `ol HIPPY! LOL! don

Yep always glad to help out a Hippy.

All of our "Hippies" out here in Moon Beam land are now retired living on their investments from corporate America.

So if you are headed for San Francisco be sure to wear some flowers in your hair. (that is if you have any hair left) : )

Anthony Castellanos /

thanx a bunch i finally got my moped running to the point where i can take it to full throttle but it will bog but have riding it alot.

Now that you have it running and idling (hopefully), after riding it and getting warmed up come back home leave it running and try tweeking the pilot air screw a little a bit each way till the rpms increase as much it will go. Then use the Throttle stop screw to reduce the idle if it has increased too much.

There is also a round flat aluminum access screw on top of the carb that you can unscrew and spray some carb cleaner in the hole with the engine running if possible. This helps clear out any block jets.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account