79 Puch 2speed

I have a Maxi II, which i recently aquired, and it starts up fine. After i get going for a short while, and it's running fine, it feels like tranny disengages. If i pull the throttle the engine speeds up (makes more noise etc.) but the engine doesn't turn the wheel. What's the problem and what can i do to fix it?

Re: 79 Puch 2speed

I would check out your clutch. It sounds to me like the clutch is not engaging the the drive chain maybe. As the engine rpms increase the centrifugal forces cause the clutch to push up against the gearing and cause the wheel to turn. Maybe the clutch is worn. I have not taken apart my clutch before as I have not run into this problem yet. But I would think it is a clutch problem but I am not an expert.

-Fred

Monty Jardine /

Thing is, i dun think this bike _has_ a clutch! I'm not too tech savvy, so i dunno if that was a stupid statement or not.

the bike has a clutch

every bike has a clutch

its a centrifugal clutch (also called a C-clutch)

the clutch is constantly spinning but when it spins at a high enough speed 2 metel plates are forced gainst a metel wall that is connected to your drive sprocket

here is a photo of one in a chain saw

http://home.howstuffworks.com/chainsaw4.htm

Bradford Wirt /

I just rebuilt one of those mothers! I had similar problems. With luck you may just have something loose in there that needs to be properly torqued down to proper specs. If you are not somewhat experienced mechanically or naturally bright, it takes patience and thinking to get it right. You seriously need a manual. Go to Moped riders association site therein they have complete manuals online, can you believe it? Some of the threads are left-hand and you need to know which ones are. Also you will need to use an oil filter wrench to hold one of the parts while you torque something to specs. Look over the repair manual and assess whether the job is for you or have it done outside.

Best of success!!!!!!!!

Brad

Bradford Wirt /

This is Brad again. One thing you want to do first is check the adjustment nut near the tranny case and make sure it is properly adjusted. Also, check to see if you have proper free play (3/4") in your clutch lever. Of course start with the most simple and obvious things first before ripping off into the tranny case.

Brad

Monty Jardine /

Thanks kindly, i'll do my best in aquiring this maual. Also, when i got the thing, oil came out _not_ transmission fluid, so i put oil IN ( _not_ transmission fluid). But i noticed on all the 1 speed Maxi's that they take transmission fluid. Did i goof there too?

The Puch takes Auto Tranny Fluid, at least the one speed. Other oils could do damage over a long period of time. If you just put fluid in it, and did do it for a long period of time I think you will be okay. Oil and tranny fluid would probably look the same with a quick look. Is it leaking out of the tranny case?

1 and 2 speed both use A.T.F. - Type F

Monty Jardine /

Wow, thats sorta bad for me :P i gotta drain that out again i guess. Hope it's ok. Isn't transmission fluid, like pink? not darm brown like oil? Because the stuff that came out out was definetly really brown and syrupy, and it had been sitting for a year before i bought it, with that in there.

Regardless, drain it and replace it. Draining is pretty quick and easy. I hope you can figure out the problem! Good Luck!

Transmission fluid is a dark reddish pink. It's not a milky pink (time to change it!) or brown, that I've seen at least.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account