TFR crank gasket problems

Stephen Krouse /

will riding down a hill with the engine engaged but kill switch on blow your crank gasket

Re: TFR crank gasket problems

Stephen Krouse /

it could be the bowl gasket how shood i seal that

No, but it may screw your cylinder up. Without gas/oil flowing into the cylinder, the piston won't be lubricated. Although it will be sucking in a little gas due to the idle screw (and on the Vespas and Kinetics, they have an idle jet..not completely sure how it works though)...so it may not be a problem. Also you have the issue of unburnt fuel going into your exhaust. You're still using up gas, so you might as well let it run at idle down the hill.

Bowl gaskets don't "blow". There's no pressure on them to blow them out. They just serve to seal the carb bowl to the rest of the carb so fuel doesn't run out. You only need to worry about replacing them if they've decayed and don't seal anymore.

You may have better luck with getting your ped fixed if you tell us the problem with it rather than guess at what is causing the problem.

Stephen Krouse /

Moped has spark but will not start i cleaned the carb and i dont think it is sucking gas. i was told a couple weeks ago that it could be the gasket in the crank is bad and there is a air leak. someone told me that when the same thing happen to a friend's. what should i do?

If it isn't sucking gas, that's the problem. I doubt an air leak would result in it not sucking gas in, so I suspect either a carb problem or a problem with your fuel tank. See if fuel will come out of the petcock--if not, it may be clogged with rust. Make absolutely sure that your jet is cleaned properly along with all the other carb parts (not the plastic or rubber ones). Put a new spark plug in there and try to start it. If it doesn't start, take the plug out and look at it. If it's wet, you have fuel going to the cylinder, so that's most likely not the problem.

Stephen Krouse /

what is the petcock?

a few weeks ago the gas started spiting out the gas cap could that be a problem

The petcock is the fuel valve that sits at the bottom of the tank. As for the gas thing, maybe you just overfilled the tank?

Stephen Krouse /

i think that was it. it looks like i have rust in my tank but i have only had it for a year. should i just drain the gas and poor some deruster crap in there

Buy a Kreem kit and seal the tank so it never rusts again. $30, a pain to do but worth it according to people who've done it.

Stephen Krouse /

were do you get it?

is that just a new tank?

Motorcycle stores. No, it's a liner goop that you put inside through a 3-step process. It lines your tank and hardens so no more rust ever.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account