1979 Puch front brake=wheel wobble

Yeah, what he said.

if you're on the seat of the puch looking down, there's two 13mm bolts that (I assume) extend down the forks and into the shocks.

Tightening them cut down on the movement of the front wheel but they are now TIGHT and it's still wobbling when I apply the front brake...

Not exactly a wobble though, more like a "jig" to the left. I played with it while riding and then while on the stand. there's shock movement on the left shock I don't consider normal. it has side to side play-- not much, perhaps a few mm but you can see it affect the angle of the wheel.

it's not in the front axle---- that's all tight. The brake causes pressure on the front shocks and the left shock seems to give (sideways!)

how do I know it's the shocks and not the forks? anything I can do to try and fix it?

Can you run a stock carb with a kit and pipe? that's what I'm doing now.... running super rich though... feels weak and then snaps out of it and screams and then at full throttle but will cut out for 2 seconds and then start screaming again. I don't know how the "bowl" works but could it be filling, draining, filling draining? or maybe the rich fuel isn't firing well. My plug chop was very very rich.

Thanks all,

Re: 1979 Puch front brake=wheel wobble

When you stand over the front wheel and bear down on the headset,do the shocks collapse equally? Maybe your right fork is frozen solid or almost? If you don't have that shop manual,Wayne.....better get it. don-ohio (:^)

It sounds like the play is between the upper and lower fork tube. This is quite common. It probably will need a fork slide rebuild kit. I have them new if needed. Usually you will see that the grooved shell (dust shield) has fallen down and the plastic tits that hold the nylon fork slide bushings have broken off allowing the bushing to slide down and cause the looseness.

Chris MWH

www.mopedwarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

Good call, Chris. man, you're good. I didn't even mention that bushing and it IS loose....you pegged that problem. I'll be in touch soon for that.

As for running a kit and pipe with stock carb? is that bad? running rich like I said.

Ballpark on a new carb? suggestions on jetting?

Also, is there a term for the "thumb control panels"? I assume it's a puch thing that just breaks..... because the bike is in such generally good shape but the instrument controls are bound on with electrical tape-- it works but I don't know what those things are called---!

thaniks again, I rode all day, what a nice bike.

Be careful,Wayne, that what you're calling running rich isn't a loose base gasket or other gasket making the plug look sooty. I've seen it happen before and it isn't running rich,but just really poor combustion and it might actually be lean when it kicks in running good for bursts. Check for any loose connections for sure. don-ohio (:^)

Sebring forks.....must be tough.

In all my travels and thousands of miles of running three different Sebrings, I've never seen any forks fail. Yeah, I bent a set once that had about 15K on them, but they still got me back to town and worked other than being bent.

They must be really well built forks. On the Sebring I hit the back of a Mustang with in Tampa,FL, they are still slightly bent and I've been waiting for a guy to send me a new set for several months now.

But as far as going bad or wearing out bushings,even with the weight I've always carried, I've been really impressed with the Sebrings' front ends.

So,Wayne, I'm kinda' surprised that Puchs would have this weakness. But sounds like an easy fix. don-ohio (:^)

1979 Puch front brake=wheel wobble

i actually had the same problem with my maxi after kitting the bike - i got ahold of a 70cc kit and performance pipe but didn't have the cash to drop on a bigger carb at the time. this resulted in the same symptoms - running way to rich, bogging at takeoff until enough air got into the mix, fouling plugs every now and then. it was very telltale too, since the bike would run fine when it was cold, but as soon as it warmed up it would start hesitating whenever i would give it throttle at idle. however, i recently came across a 14mm bing for the bike and the result is stunning... not only did this solve the problem of the bike hesitating at takeoff (after downjetting slightly), but the top speed is ungodly now. it wasn't a slowpoke before, but i feel pretty comfortable in guessing that its pushing close to 50 judging by the traffic that i've been pacing.

i did have some luck earlier with the stock 12mm by downjetting, although this is undoubtedly a bit dangerous, especially if the cylinder is still being run-in. i read that you picked the bike up with the kit on it - any idea as to how much time the new top end has on it?

I've got a stripped out exhaust stud and my leo pipe is only one with one bolt, so i've been running it with the mixture screw all the way in, which I assume is extra-rich, to make up for the lack of seal in the combustion chamber. It sucks. I tried heli-coiling today but messed that up. I'm going to have to try it again with a bigger tap.

The kid said the kit had "several" hours on it and I put about 4 of easy riding myself.

under 50 hours for sure, no idea how many miles tho.

I'm glad to hear you had the same symptoms. Don's post had me worried now it's just something to keep in mind. Hoping a new carb will do the trick.

got it out again today with a leaner mix of synth and it ran pretty peppy--!

still rich but strong not doggy....

sweet ride for cure--

can I use a BMX seat and pedals on this thing??

Tell me about my 79 Puch!!

Hi guys,

I could help out if anyone asked this question on a Kymco, a Tomos an Express or a QT-50.

I cannot answer it for my Puch.

Tell me about my newport? Can I use any bicycle parts (pedals, bars, seat etc??)

Quirks? Etc? it's such a sweet ride--- I'm in love. once that rich mix burned off it really powered up.

Ideas for tweaking it and restoring it (want to make it custom and phat but not w/lights or stereo-- nice bars, shiny chrome etc etc.

Not as crazy as project Puch but I do want to make this one red hot antique moped.

Wayne

Re: Tell me about my 79 Puch!!

"got it out again today with a leaner mix of synth and it ran pretty peppy—!

still rich but strong not doggy…."

If the kit has only several hours on it wouldn't it be smarter to use mineral oil to break it in?

"I’ve got a stripped out exhaust stud and my leo pipe is only one with one bolt, so i’ve been running it with the mixture screw all the way in, which I assume is extra-rich, to make up for the lack of seal in the combustion chamber. It sucks. I tried heli-coiling today but messed that up. I’m going to have to try it again with a bigger tap."

You have that amal carb right? The mixture screw is only for the when the slider is all the way down! (idle) Am I wrong? You'd need a bigger jet. This won't save you while runnign full throttle. Be careful ben, if there is any plastic anywhere near that exhuast port it could start melting

Re: Tell me about my 79 Puch!!

John,

I've been here a long time, never ever heard of this!

"Mineral oil?":https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/search.php?f=6&search=mineral+oil&match=1&date=0&fldsubject=1&fldbody=1

That's a search of all dates and all words-- I'm actually wondering if I'm doing it right. Mineral oil has lots of uses-- and it's never ever been mentioned.

A lot of the real gearheads chill at a different forum-- but they never mentioned it and they're pretty damn good. Plus, none of the dealers ever telling us this? Zippy, Ike and Chris are holding out??

C'mon, honest? Tell me more.

Bike seat for 79 Puch!!

It looks like my old cannondale seat would go right on this. Pedals too probably.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account