Chain Lube and Mysterious Clicking

For lubricating the chain, can I use something else besides chain lube, like 80w gear oil or do I have to use chain lube? Also, whenever I move my moped w/o the engine's power, I hear a clicking noise. Is it because of the transmission or did I over tighten the nuts on the rear axle so that the bearings are being destroyed? I don't seem to be loosing any speed due this clicking.

Re: Chain Lube and Mysterious Clicking

Chain lube is nice because it does not fly off easily. You can use plain old oil, but you will have to do it more frequently. You want about 1/2 inch up and down play in the chain when you are sitting on the bike (off of the kick stand)

Also check that the wheel is aligned in the swing arm evenly. Do not go by just looking at the chain adjusters and making them the same angle. Tomos swing arms and chain adjusters are not made well enough for that to be the only gauge.

Chris MWH

www.mopedwarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

I know that. I looked at the chain and it seems to be pretty straight to the eye. Also, after I tighten the nuts on the rear axle, only then did I notice the clicking. Also, do you recommend a specific brand of chain lube?

Did you possibly leave out the left hand side axle spacer? If so the clicking may be the sprocket bolt heads hitting the swing arm. I use PJ1 chain lube and it works well.

Chris MWH

www.mopedwarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

I never took the wheel off, I just tightened the nut. Is it possible to over tighten it and therefore, destroy the bearing?

Hmmmmm.sealed bearing could be dry or worn,Lance. But possibly overtightening COULD press the inner races over enough to jam the bearings a little if they had some play. Rear axle nuts only need to be snugged maybe 25-30 lbs.torque maximum I'm guessing. I'd be inspecting the rear wheel bearings. don-ohio (:^)

In theory you can not overtighen the bearing and damage the bearing. The inner races of the bearing has a sleeve between them that prevents the dreaded bearing crush. So maybe they are just bad. Remember they are tomos bearings...I have them new if needed.

Chris MWH

www.mopedwarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

Yes...I know inTHEORY,Chris, but if the bearing had play and the outer race couldn't be jammed,which it can't, and the inner WERE jammed, it could bind the bearing. But it is a long shot. I should get out my Tomos manual and look again at how they are positioned. That's a 2002 bike and those bearings shouldn't be bad I wouldn't think? don-ohio (:^)

Yes. In theory the spacer is a fraction undersize to load the bearings.

Chris MWH

www.mopedwarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

Well, my friend Raggy had a 2002 and after a week the bearing just shreaded and fell off! I'm probably going to take my rear wheel off today and check. What should I look for with a problem with the bearing and where can I get chain lube in Bergen County?

Closest place to you would probably be Ramsey Kawasaki. (on rt 17south just after the franklin Tpk crossover. Usually the bad bearing will be very obvious when you pull it out. It should have no play, not bind up, and be in one piece.

Chris MWH

www.mopedwarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

Do you know any online stores that sell chain lube?

I'm just wondering but I think I found my problem. Before the clicking started, my moped took a fall and hit the pedals first. How would a fall like this affect the transmission so that I know what to fix?

Maybe you damaged the one-way `dog' or spur that allows it to freewheel. Someone more familiar with Tomos trannies may wanna jump in here and help. don-ohio (:^)

What is it that I have to look for to fix it? I rather save a few bucks doing it myself.

Let me go get my A35 manual here in a few minutes,Lance. don-ohio

I looked at my manual,but it's not much help. It shows a `brake spring' shaped like a retaining clip(clothespin shaped) that might've gotten out of place........or possibly you jammed the one way dog(claw collar). I would be taking it apart and checking it out. don-ohio

Thanks. How complicated is it to fix?

You'll hav e to tear it down and look.Did you make sure it wasn't a rear wheel bearing first? Unfortunately,my A35 manual is pretty sketchy. The A3 has a similar set-up,though. don-ohio (:^)

I'll check both just to be safe sometime this week when I have time. I want to make a bracket for my key ingition switch first though. Thanks guys for your help.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account