Ciao won't idle after warmup

After replacing the motor, the carb ,the clutch (let alone tires), my 76 ciao ceases to idle after the engine is hot. It starts up immediately after it dies.

Is it a mixture problem?

Gas line issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

V.

Re: Ciao won't idle after warmup

Have you turned the idle screw inward to increase idle a little? don-ohio

If that doesnt work try replacing the plug. Make sure it is the correct plug, sometimes when things get switched around someone puts in a similar plug but not the correct one. Different plugs run at different temperatures. Also for more fine tuning, you can adjust the throttle cable on top of the carb. But you usually only do that when the screw on the side of the carb is out of adjustment.

John Himmel /

This seems to be the plug that I bought with the replacement motor (NOS from Piaggo). The idle is set pretty high now. Could it might be a clutch problem? Spinning too fast and not releasing, seizing the engine? Thanks for the reply!

John Himmel /

The idle is set pretty high now. Could it might be a clutch problem? Spinning too fast and not releasing, seizing the engine? Thanks for the reply!

Check for air leaks around the carb...that caused idle problems with my Peugeot.

When I took out my grande for the first time this year It had been sitting all season with no gas. It wouldnt idle good either. It stalled and was a pain in the ass to start up. I revoved the head only to find lots of carbon. I cleaned the carbon off the piston (make sure piston is at the top) with a toothbrush and some gumout carb cleaner. then I cleaned the head in the same manor. Then I adjusted the points and it runs like brand new. Faster too. You may try that.

Leon Swarmer /

Is the vent clean on the fuel cap?

You need to clean the idle jet.

It is a commonly missed item in Vespa carb cleaning. The carb has a plastic insert that fits in the engine side of the carb. This insert has to come out and then you can access the Idle jet, You need to use a single strand of a control cable , piano wire or a #74 mini drill bit. The #74 is smaller than the Idle jet hole so you are not drilling it out, just removing the gunk. Use carb cleaner and compressed air to blow it out, but most times carb cleaner by itsself is not enough. and you have to use the wire or bit.

See attached pic of location of Idle jet

1081565026_vespaciaocarb10.jpeg

Hey thanks for that little tid bit. I have cleaned my carb about 30 times and never even knew that little hole was there.

Yes sometimes it's a pleasant surpise to find a little hole you didn't know about. : )

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account