Crankshaft

Timmy Southpark /

how do you split a puch crank shaft? i mean, get the rod off, does it have to be pressed on and off? Can i do this at home?

Re: Crankshaft

This is not a job for the home mechanic. You will need a press, a set of centers, dial indicators, a set of crank wedges, and Inside and outside micrometers. Your best bet is to do the R and R work yourself and have a machinist do the rod instaltion. We can provide this service if you are unable to find someone locally to do this.

Chris MWH

www.mopedwarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

Timmy Southpark /

thanks, i'll get back to you when i decide to do it. at the moment i'm on a budget and was hoping to fix it myself. thanks

Ok. Is this on a 1 or a 2 speed crank. Truthfully it is not even worth rebuilding a 1 speed crank. But 2 speed cranks are.

Chris MWH

www.mopedwarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

I have a bent connecting rod on an extra 1-speed bottom end. Do I pretty much just need to buy an entirely new crank for it, then have a shop put it in for me?

Timmy Southpark /

its a 2-speed.

Timmy Southpark /

well i'm talking about actually pulling the rod out of the rotor(?). To just pull a crank of the engine. just split the case, and pull it out. then strip the bearings, clutch, flywheels, etc....

The one speeds are so common that it makes it not worth doing. In fact for all of the 1 speed engines that I rebuild, I put a HP crank in even if it is a totally stock engine. The 2 speed cranks are much harder to find good used ones and those of us that have new ones rarely ever part with them. So the 2 speed are worth rebuilding.

Chris MWH

www.mopedwarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

Timmy Southpark /

i think the one i'm building is bad. it has a lot of side to side and maybe a little up and down play.

drop me an email if you're looking for a replacement. i just broke down a za50 and am in the process of listing all of the parts on ebay.

Timmy Southpark /

what do you want for the crank?

$30 including shipping. this would be for the crank, crank bearings and flywheel nut. all in excellent condition. email me if interested.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account