hondap pc50 problem

Martin Orwinski /

I have a 1976 honda pc50 .

It starts up great and idles great at the beginning.

When I ride it for a 1km or so, it seems to lose a little bit of power.

The problem is that when I stop after that, it idles sometimes, sometimes it doesn't idle and dies (or and as soon as i give it some gas from a standstill, it dies very quickly (ie. as soon as i open throttle) - sometimes)

I checked the petcock, it is ok, fuel is getting in the carb (maybe not fast enough) - i checked the gas cap hole, it is fine. Once I start it again, it seems to run ok - until the next lights :)

I don't know what could be causing this. Anyone have an idea?

the other thing is that it backfires when i let close throttle quickly (so the points must be off a bit) - could this be it?

I checked the oil is fine. the muffler is not the problem.

I did a plug chop - it is good.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: hondap pc50 problem

Martin Orwinski /

by the way, i tried adjusting the idle screw and that doesn't make the problem go away.

It sounds, like you said, Fuel is not getting in fast enough. Disconnect the fuel line and watch it run out for a few seconds. Make sure there is a steady stream coming out of the tank. And going into the bowl.

Martin Orwinski /

I disconnected the fuel line (at the carb) and opened the petcock valve. The fuel came out strong.

Martin Orwinski /

I fixed it. The ignition cable (at the spark plug) was worn out.

I cut 1cm off of it and now it runs, idles really well.

I guess that it becoming loose as soon as the rpms went up and lost spark as soon as i gave it gas (must have been the vibrations), it also explains the lose of power when riding it full throttle.

I am one happy mopeder.

:-P

Good job,Martin! don

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account