1978 SOLO WATER COOLED TRANSMISSION

HOW DOES THE WATER COOLED TRANSMISSION WORK ON THE SOLO?

Re: 1978 SOLO WATER COOLED TRANSMISSION

ha. ran a search and found this. now im wondering the same thing. i just had a friend call me up with a solo and he says he took the head off and all the coolant came out. doesnt know how much to put back in. any ideas, manuals, etc?

Its not a water cooled tranny, it has a sleeved cylinder which holds the old style green coolant. Nothing mechanical about it.

well actually i knew that much but i figured i'd just ask a general question about it. well, what is this coolant and how much goes in? and it just chills out in there, no pump or flow or anything?

it just chills, doesn't move, i do 50/50 regular coolant in the plug at the top, i think it was about 12oz...

I think there's something about it in the wiki... Pretty sure the Solo articles are under "Repair Tutorials," or you could just run a search.

Water cooling aside, some quick research shows that the transmission on the two-speed Solo is pretty cool. It can be seen here:

It's sort of a reverse planetary gear overdrive. In first gear, the rim drives the planets, which turn the sun gear, connected to the shaft, at at slower speed. So it's a reduction.

In second gear, the centrifugal weights lock the mechanism together, so it all turns at the same speed with no reduction. All this fits neatly in the drive pulley.

I want one for my Batavus!!!

Well, that didn't work. Lets try it again a bit differently:

http://www.mopedarmy.com/img/gallery/1976_solo_3.jpg

Wow that's pretty wild. Mine just had a standard variator.

huh. i did some reading... so its non pump liquid cooled? that does a good job keepin it cool in there? and they come stock with that, and boost ports... were these things pretty fast? never actually seen one or ridden one. now im intrigued. thanks for the help.

yeah it is pretty cool but there is a cheesy locking mechanism that locks the pulley when stopped, this is usually broken or missing so if you are stopped without your feet on the pedals and hit the gas the pedals spin backwards and beat up your legs. This usually only happens once, however, LOL.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account