1980 Honda Express Starter

The kick start on my express will only ratchet once. If you have one you know it ratchets a few times, then when it stops ratcheting, you hit the break and it cranks, well one kick isn't enough to start it. Any ideas what happened? Or how to fix it? I might take the cover off the side and see if the ratcheting gears came loose or missed a tooth.

Re: 1980 Honda Express Starter

Leon Swarmer /

Philip, this is not a simple mechanism. Wait before you open it up. can you get the wind arm to rachet if you push it down with your foot and then lift it with your toe?

Leon

The wind arm still wont ratchet if I lift it up. It acts like its at the last kick, when it is only the first. I have tried rolling it while I press, and I've tried holding the brake enough that it doesn't catch, while pressing it, but I still have no luck. I am hesitant to take it apart because I don't have any more transmission fluid, and don't want it to leak out.

Anyone know what kind of fluid this would take?

Never take that apart unless you squeeze the rear brake lever to release all tension on the starter spring,Philip. Go here and search out your problem.Hit `cached' when you see what you want and it will highlight the result.

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/26489

don-ohio (:^)

Leon Swarmer /

tranny oil is .79 US quart of 10W 40 motor oil.

Leon

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account