*Squeeky brakes How do you fix*

any help on squeeky brakes?

Re: *Squeeky brakes How do you fix*

Take `em apart and lube the pivot point and the cam inside with hi-temp grease,getting NO grease on the shoes. I always cut 2 slanting but opposing direction marks into the shoe material maybe a 1/16th inch deep with a small 3 cornered file. Then sand the drum,but get NO sand or dust into any wheel bearing area(do all this before you grease the pivot points). Shouldn't squeal then and should stop on a dime. don-ohio

Don, why do you cut slants into the shoes?

I guess it allows for the dust to make its way out of the braking surface,but whatever it does,it works! I have always done that, but unfortunately I ususally get grease onto my rear pads every few months and have to clean them again. Cut the slants on a 45-60 degree angle,but only shallow like I said, opposing like this..... \ / .........see?don-ohio

I'll give it a try. I've got my hubs off right now anyways.

Edward Edwards /

It would seem to me that it might work on the facing of a clutch. Do you think it would make for a faster take off?

So on an FA50 with drum brakes I need to grease what area, what part is making the squeek sound?

FA50 probably has sealed wheel bearings,right(make sure they aren't dry and squeaking and need replaced)? Sometimes the squeak comes from dusty shoes, but usually it's a vibration from the springs or a brake is dragging or a spring can be broken. If the springs look good, just do what I said and keep the grease off the drum and shoe linings. don-ohio (:^)

Depends on what type clutch,Ped58? Dry clutch or wet? 2-speed? Don't mess with the low-speed wet-clutch shoes on a 2-speed or they'll mess up shifting. I wouldn't be afraid of improving the hi-speed or 2nd gear clutches,though. If it's a SINGLE-speed dry clutch,you could sand the drum and the clutch a LITTLE to roughen it. You could also cut the angle marks in to get rid of dust. don-ohio (:^D

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account