flooding? base gasket? fouled plugs? huh?

i put a new cylinder/piston/rings on my 1981 peugeot 103. it started with starter fluid. i drove down the street. when i let off the throttle a bit, it sounded like it stopped running. the noise got quieter, i slowed way down. then i gave it full throttle. after a second of lag, it picked back up again, the noise sounded like it was running again, i accelerated. i tried to keep it at full throttle, then it died. i pedaled it home, there was some oil on the spark plug. oil was leaking from the base gasket. it started again a few times, but only with starter fluid. i could keep it running for 30 seconds max, then it would die. then i'd take out the spark plug, clean it off (sometimes it was covered in oil, sometimes not), spray starter fluid in the cylinder, start it up again...

so what could be the problem here? why wont it stay on? why are the plugs fouling? why is does it seem to be flooding?

here's some more info:

i have a dellorto carb with a #58 jet in it (2 holes in the airbox, took baffle out of exhaust)

i'm pretty sure the base gasket is bad. i can hear a pfft...pfft from the base as the piston moves up and down.

gas is NOT pouring out of the exhaust. there's just oily stuff leaking from the base gasket.

thanks,

dan

Re: flooding? base gasket? fouled plugs? huh?

Mine acted that way when the airbox came off. It could be an air leak, or more likely your base gasket. You can pick up some gasket material at a local auto shop...it's not incredibly difficult to make one.

thank you very much, matthew.

should i use the gooey, sticky gasket material froma a tube or paper gasket material?

I'd use paper gasket material. Problem with that is, on my 103 it always bakes onto the cylinder base so I have to make a new one each time I take it off. You'd be better off ordering a new gasket from a shop, but if you're in a hurry you can use the paper and make your own. I take my cylinder head off, push the gasket material onto the studs sticking out, then use a hole punch to make holes for them. Then I take the cylinder base off, and push the gasket material onto the engine case so that the ports and stuff make an imprint on the material. Then it's just a matter of cutting it out.

Oh yeah, and DonP has recommended using aviation sealer lightly brushed onto gaskets to form a good seal without being squeezed into the combustion chamber. I haven't tried that, and my gasket's been working fine for quite awhile. But whatever.

50cc? #58 jet is awful big,Dan. A #55 should serve nicely,but the #58 might've saved you a soft-seize with the base gasket inleakage. don-ohio

two reasons why i have a #58 jet:

1. my other jets are 51, 70, 72, 76

2. i have no baffle in the exhaust

dan, can i keep that 58 if i have no baffle?

Just do the plug chops and find out,Dan. don-ohio

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account