Slow as crap Puch 2spd

Ok all here's my dilemma....

I have a Puch 2spd. After re-jetting (going all sizes big and small) I still cannot get this thing to go more than about 15 miles an hour. It only shifts to the second gear after around 500ft of full throttle. I know these 2 speeds are notorious for having problems, but this bike is so nice I really want to get it figured out. Any ideas??

Thanks

Bryan K.

Re: Slow as crap Puch 2spd

Oh and also I know there is a small exhaust leak, could this be the culprit???

BK

No..........but the exhaust could be plugged. That'll make `em run like molasses in the wintertime! LOL! Also,make sure the points haven't slipped shut if it's not the exhaust,but I'll bet it is. don-ohio

I know the exhaust isn't clogged, it's clean-I put it on because the old one was clogged when I bought the bike. I'm pretty sure the points are good, I think I checked em when I was trying to at least get to run (bike was a mess when I got it- seized piston, clogged exhaust and about 100lbs of mud on it). Thanks Don

Bryan K.

Did you top off the transmission with ATF Type "F"?

If you did that is your problem. 2 speed should only be filled with 9.5 ozs of ATF type"F".

Yep type F. I really can't figure this problem out.

Bryan

Make sure the airbox is properly restricted and there are no air leaks...those really seem to be pretty common problems with Puchs.

You only answered half the question. ATF type "F" is good but did you fill up the tranny to the top? If you did that is the problem

You are not supposed to top it off, it needs and air space in order to work properly

Drain the tarnny and refill with only 9.5 ozs and DO NOT top it off.

I filled it until it started to come out of the fill screw. Also Matt I don't think it is an airbox problem, it runs the same with or without the airbox even on. Oh well I'll get it figured out next week. I'm too busy getting my other bike prepped for a big ride this weekend.

Bryan K.

Drain the tranny

Put in ONLY 9.5 ounces.

DON'T fill it to the top or your 2 speed will run very sluggish!

Okay.....you said it had a BUNCH of mud on it when you got it? Could the brakes be dragging? Or the chain too tight or rusty? Recheck the points to be gapped at .015" and put in a fresh spark plug. don-ohio

The airbox hose going into the frame is supposed to have a restrictor plug in it. If you don't have that, tape over half the airbox hole (take the hose off and tape over the resulting hole) and try running it. If you do have it,

It's not to the top of the crankcase, just about halfway up where the screw on the side is. Is that too much? I don't know much about these puch 2 speeders.

BK

I'll check the airbox tomorrow when I head down to the ol' Motion Left HQ. I'm pretty sure it's a good one.

BK

No I don't think the brakes are catching. The wheels freely spin and I repacked the bearings and checked the brake pads. I've had this whole bike taken apart and cleaned. The tension on the chains are correct, as I've replaced the original chain that was on there. The guy I got it from kept outside all winter, and it was covered in the three feet of snow we had this year. But it does run, although slow, and all of the electrical works, plus it was only $50.

BK

I'm not sure how much ATF is in the tranny if it is up to the side screw. The best way to use process of elimination and drain the tranny (large hex nut drain plug under the engine) and refill with only 9.5 ounces of ATF type F. That way you will know for sure exactely how much is in it. It will either fix the problem or can be crossed off as being the possible cause of the lack of power.

It is also possible a previous owner put the wrong kind of oil in the tranny, so draining the tarnny and refilling it would hopefully get rid of any incorrect oil.

If changing the tranny oil doesn't fix the problem, the next thing I would suggest is to remove the muffler and take it for a test spin. It will be noisy as heck but if the top end improves and/or the sluggishness goes away then you probably have a clogged muffler and exhuast port.

I think we already covered making sure the choke stem on top of the carb is pulled all the way UP after the bike is started and running.

Try these things and let us know.

Timmy Southpark /

maybe it has too low of compression. try replacing the piston rings, base and head gasket. its like $10.00 worth of parts from ikesbikes.com. Even if thats not the problem, your ped will run good when all's said and done. Like the others said too, make sure your aircleaners are all together, and tight. that made a world of difference on my puch.

One more question. What number jet do you have in the carb now?

mine 2speed is slow too!

Tyler Jacobson /

i took my new um 1980 i think puch 2 speed for the first big cruise today and i was maxing out at only 24mph kinda slow i thought...

Re: mine 2speed is slow too!

Timmy Southpark /

i thought 2-speeds did at least 40mph, so you are losing some speed. try freshing things up like new points, piston rings, oil changes, spark plugs, etc.... always make sure you have all your air cleaners on tight too, my 96 korada ran real slow without them!!!

No, 2 speeds do not do 40. The second gear can actually be slightly smaller than the gear in the 1 speed. 28 or 29 is probably what you're looking at, when they're running well.

28-29 is what i'm shooting for. Anything more than the 15. I'll check all these things this afternoon and get back to you guys and let you know what I can figure. I really appreciate all the help everyone is giving me.

BK

Here goes-

Airbox is fine. No Leaks and normal restriction.

Exhaust is clean as well as the port.

Tranny fluid is at it's correct level.

No air leaks anywhere.

New spark plug, and spark is quite strong.

I'm lost, don't know what else to try.

Bryan K.

did you replace the rings, base and head gasket. It is probably your problem. Do a compression test buddy

Tab Patterson /

Check...The...Compression...

120 pounds or more is what to shoot for, but anything around 110 should work.

2 speeds are slow. What gears are on it? 16/40 will do 30mph nicely.

Re: how much do yo weigh? and what's your gearing

you may need to change the gearing to 18t x40t back

Shit.... I don't have the $30-40 for a compression gauge, but it seems to have around the same compression my minarelli bike has. I'm taking a temporary break on this before I get the "sell it for parts" idea.

BK

"Here goes-

Airbox is fine. No Leaks and normal restriction.

Exhaust is clean as well as the port.

Tranny fluid is at it’s correct level.

No air leaks anywhere.

New spark plug, and spark is quite strong."

==========================================

With all the above meeting factory specs, the only things left that are suspect are;

Do you have the correct carb?

Do you have the correct jet?

Is clip setting for the jet needle in the correct setting (second notch from the top)

Are the clutch shoes slipping?

The correct carb and jet numbers for a Puch MK II should be;

Carb Bing #1/12/318 with jet #50 for a 1.0 hp model 20mph

Carb Bing #1/12/323 with jet #48 for a 1.5 hp model 25mph

Carb Bing #1/12/322 with jet #60 for a 2.0 hp model 30mph

If you have the correct specs above I would suspect worn or slipping clutch shoes.

Let us know what you have as far as carb and jet. Carb numbers are on the outside of the carb, jet # stamped on head of main jet screw.

Timmy Southpark /

go to ikesbikes.com, he'll sell you new rings and base and head gasket for $10.00 literally. i bet that bike would run better then. Does you engine reeve up and sound normal, but just slow, or is it bogging out at high speeds. if its normal sounding (reeving good) i'd say its the clutch disks, and if its bogging out it might be due to low compression, so do the piston ring thing. Double check your points and condensor, maybe even replace them even if they look good. Dont part it, i bet its a cool bike, and you wont get a nicer ped than a puch.

Tyler Jacobson /

i cleaned up my 2speed the carb fuel filter new trans fluid and now it is doing very high twenties like 29

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account