Puch info

Steve Pollock /

I just picked up a '79 Puch Magnum II the other day which has seen it's share of neglect. I cleaned the carb, drained the old fuel, and replaced the fuel line. With a little effort it started up and ran. I notice while it was running that there seemed to be a lot of play in the drive sprocket. I could see it moving in and out about 1/4" while I reved the bike. Is this normal? I also noticed a similar amount of in and out play on the pedals. What do you guy's think?

Also, do most people use the oil injection or bypass it and pre-mix fuel?

Thanks,

Fritz

Re: Puch info

my pedals always did that also, i never worried about it. i would advise installing an inline fuel filter between your petlock, and carb. it helps tremendously to keep dirt/rust out of your carb.

most people bypass the oil injection because of reliablity, but i've never had a problem. i always add some two-stroke to my tank anyway though. some people like the injection for convenience......stopping at a gas station, and just filling up............

Some play in both of those areas is normal. 1/4 inch is a bit much though. The freewheel sprocket is not a precision piece like you would find on a bicycle. Corner cutting at its finest

Chris MWH

www.mopedwarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

Steve Pollock /

thanks for the information guys. Paul - I did put an inline filter in. Luckily I had one laying around from an older project. Chris - 1/4" was just an estimate bit it is probably close to that measurement. I haven't had the chance to ride the ped yet so I guess that will shed some more light on the issue.

Steve Pollock /

I was also wondering...the ped is a '79 Puch and it has a Huret (sp?) speedo on it. I thought Puch had there own speedo's? Is this something somebody threw on it?

yes, puch had their own. the speedo probabley went bad on it, and was replaced with your current.

Huret is Motobecane's speedo...that's wierd.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account