Tomos Targa LX

Martin Cates /

I have an older targa lx. NOt sure how old. It has locked up. ITs a back pedal start, but i cna't pedal backwards. What could be wrong and how do i fix it? thanks for the help

Re: Tomos Targa LX

Either the piston has sized (not enough lubrication) or the gears have jamed. The easiest thing to fix is a sized piston. Pull the head of the engine and look to see if there are scratches or smears of metal in the cylinder bore. If so, the piston has seized.

See how the piston bore looks and then repost with the results. The cure could be anything from using some well applied force to fix it to having to replace the piston and cylinder.

I am in Chillicothe, Ohio. If you are close enough I might be able to help you. I have a spare piston and cylinder lieing around somewhere if that is what it needs.

Martin Cates /

thanks i'll get it out and start working on it...

Also do not forget all of those defective oil banjo bolts that caused the cylinder to hydro lock by filling the crank case with 2 cycle oil. This was a very common problem . Pull the plug and try to pedal it over by hand. If oil begins to squirt out the plug hole like a guiser then you will need to replace that banjo fitting as the check valve has gone bad in it.

Chris MWH

www.mopedwarehouse.com

www.mopedguru.com

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account