my four stoke seem to get a vapor lock

ok i drive to my school on my trail 90 ran fine but for some reason seems when i gas it full throttle for about 5 miles like it gets a vapor lock like the motor slows down like fast... like when u sezie a motor but when that happen i pull over kick it over then run fine for 5 more miles...i dont get it what do u think the problem is could it be my plug i check my gas line no problem with gas i check float bowl and clean it but i still cant find this problem it used to do it when i clim hills but now it dose it on stright roads have any ideas on what may be the problem ?????

Re: my four stoke seem to get a vapor lock

Shane Ross /

i found out ....when its cold dosent get that vapor lock thingg but when motor heats up i get it ... but what i dont get is how come it was never happening to me before ...... the gas lines r near the motor that y it gets that vapor air lock what should i do to fix this problem this really bugging me i never touch the gas lines but for some reason now its geting vapor air lock thing

Jason Luther /

is your gas cap vent clogged?-jason

Shane Ross /

no its free flow no clogges like i rode it today all fine IN THE MORNING no problem but when motor get hot it starts dieing out like .... if i gas all the way for like 5 miles it will just ddo it just die its reALLY WERID ALL MY BUDDYS DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO EITHER

You sound like you're overunning the ability for it to fill the float bowl. i would look for a clogged fuel inlet to the carb or a clog in the needle seat above the needle valve. don-ohio (:^)

Shane Ross /

yea that sounds right but like when its cold i can ride it no problems its just when the motor heats up i barley red line it ....when i shift i weigh like 105 so its not pulling a real bigg person maybe it might be the needle ill chck it out but got any more suggustions

That has a float bowl drain valve and attached hose,right? Loosen the drain screw and see if you get a lot of gas coming thru the hose. This will tell you if you have a restriction at the needle valve or before the needle valve at carb inlet or even at the petcock at the tank. don-ohio

Shane Ross /

good point dude i do that and it take like 10 secs then its start leaking gas hahah so its the needle when i clean it how and easyest way to clean it dam it hahah know its alll clearly to me now hahah thanks for your help dude whats the best stuff to use to clean it needle valve out

Well.......you need to at least remove the float bowl and slide out the hinge pin and take the needle valve out. Then you make sure you open the petcock if it's on the carb and take off the hoses(so you don't blow back into the tank) that go to the carb and blow compressed air back thru the needle seat. Then hook up those hoses and see if fuel flows freely from the needle seat before you re-install the needle valve and float. You still may have to clean the needle seat with a sharp toothpick and toothpaste on its end if it has some roughness up there. Make sure there's NO DIRT left in that float bowl,or on the float from your hands when you reassemble it. Just work slowly and use common sense. don-ohio (:^)

Shane Ross /

i got it running better now i clean carb like 5 times and clean the needle and now it runs good

Good! Glad to hear that! don-ohio (:^D

Shane Ross /

now i got that problem slove there is one more thing to fix on it ...... wheen i shift it in 1sst or what ever gear it always cough what could be the problem spark or air flitler i clean spark i have a blue spark and air fliter is clean .... it runs great at high rpms but when u r at low rpms it cough like a little then it starts going what do u think it could be im getting gas could it be my tuning of my carb i have 2 srews from the carb which is a air and ilde correct and im wordering on the air one how many turn out should that be

I think you got ALMOST all the dirt out,Shane. Before you tear it down asgain, go to the auto parts place and get a can of STP carb cleaner. Just put 2 ounces in a tankful of gas and run it for a while. Do that a coupla times in a row,but sdon't exceed that ratio of fuel to carb cleaner. I think it will probably work out on its own. Just make sure your valves are adjusted right too. Sometimes they need attention. And always try a fresh spark plug before you do anything else when a sudden problem comes up. don-ohio (:^)

Shane Ross /

ok then dude cool thanks agian

Sure,Shane! I hope you get `er runnin' like a scalded dog! LOL! don-ohio (:^D

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account