Bing Carb Q's (x-posted in General forum)

Hey guys, I haven't been here in over a year... so many names I don't recognize... Hahaha.

Anyways, good to see the Army still up and running! Umm, I've got some questions about Bing Carbs bought from themopedjunkyard.

I got mine in Sept. of '03, and before long, it got too cold to eff around with my poor 'ped anymore. When I put it on, it would run perfectly... oh man, I missed that. But, I couldn't go full-throttle with it; everytime I'd try, it'd sputter and bog down. Am I running too lean? I've tried adjusting the gas/air mix screw, and I've adjusted the pin on the inside, I was wondering what the "default" main jet size was... if it was the size used for the break-in period on newer bikes? (You know, can't go full-throttle for 300 mi. or something like that to get everything properly working blah blah blah) or if I just got a smaller jet than I needed? Also, should I get a main jet with a number smaller or larger than the one in the carb now, to get more gas into the engine? Thanks a lot for the help, in advance. You guys are awesome, sorry for the cross-post!

-Mike

xXx

Swarm and Destroy!

Re: Bing Carb Q's (x-posted in General forum)

Sorry, but no crossposting allowed. I've deleted the thread in the general forum. Glad to see you back.

Simon

Mike Ellison /

Sorry about that Simon, I wasn't sure which forum to drop this in, because _technically_, it _does_ run. Sorry!

It's good to be back.

Leon Swarmer /

HI Mike,

glad you are back, but I am one of the new names to you.

What kind of ped are you working with???

Are you sure your fuel lines are clean going to the carb? Is there a drain on your float bowl? Does gas run freely through it? I am thinking cleaning the carb would be preferred to swapping parts.

Leon

Mike Ellison /

Hey Leon,

I'm working with a 1979 Puch Magnum MK2, pefectly clean fuel lines (spent over 3 weeks with turpentine and all sorts of other fun rust-stripping stuff to get the tank cleaned out when I first got it.) and a brand new, perfectly cleaned out carb. The carb takes everything it's supposed to. My reason for getting the new carb is pretty embarrassing...

While working on my moped last summer, my older, immature, jerkoff brother decided it would be a good idea to throw out both carbs I had previously owned. (One was incomplete, because of an accident earlier in the year while cleaning it... young nieces and nephews are _NOT_ to be trusted with mopeds. Hahahaha) So, (after losing roughly $200 in parts,) I got pretty frustrated with the situation, and just said "you know what? I had 2 used carbs, now I have ZERO. I'll just buy a new complete from themopedjunkyard," and did so. So, when I got the new carb, I cleaned it (you know, double-checking, even though I had to open it from a plastic-sealed bag, and it shined almost more than my paintjob HAHAHA) and slapped her on... but things haven't been able to pick up all the way. Everything's tightened, I'm going to be checking my airflow this weekend when I can get to her (the moped is currently residing at my older sister's house.) Attached is a picture of her in her glory days, mid-summer, year one of owning it, (going on year 4 now... she's only been running half that time! hahaha) after being cleaned properly, and armor-all'ed to heck and back. hahaha

1079108119_moped.jpg

Not a problem. The repair and performance forums are new, so we're still ironing out the exact topics for each one. We're sort of in an initial learning period now.

Simon

Mike Ellison /

Well, I like it, now that I've got it figured out. It seems less hectic now. Good thinking. Also, I was checking through the archives today, and, !!!HOLY SHIT!!! MOPED ARMY GRAPHIC NOVEL?!?! FUCKIN' AWESOME! I can't even explain how excited I got when I read that... and the premise sounds soooo sick.

-Mike

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account