fouled plugs..

ok, so I just bought a brand new c-70.. well, its just about brand new.. it might as well be.. its a 1981 honda c-70 deluxe.. I can get it to start.. but it dies as soon as I give it gas.. but it idles really high.. and my idle does nothing.. no matter which direction I move it.. but anyway.. I took my plug off of my other c-70, and put it on the one I just bought.. and it started.. once it died.. I couldn't get it to restart.. checked the plug again.. black as can be.. so I cleaned it.. same thing.. started.. then died again.. so I checked the plug.. the thing just done broke on me.. (the plug.) what do you suppose could be the source of my problems? any help would be great.. and I know its not a "moped.." but if thats going to stop you from helping me.. just know that I have a vespa grande too.. and I am a mopedder at heart.. thanks..

timmy

Re: fouled plugs..

William Nordmark /

Sounds like your idle adjustment on the carburator is too rich. The best thing to do is read Fred's Guide. I hope that helps. billn

yea running too rich, check that choke make sure it's not on,

or yea the fuel/air screw.

Jason Luther /

mine started doing that. the plug wasnt gaped all proper like, so in the process of warming the engine up, it fouled. buy a new plug and gap it right.-jason

well.. I really don't think its the choke.. as, the choke is right up next to the speedo on the c-70's, and I've got it closed tight.. unless the valve's stuck open.. in which case.. that would explain why it keeps sputtering and dying when it give it gas.. my other c-70 can usually make it a half a block before it almost dies if my choke's on.. hmm... things to ponder while sleeping..

timmy

William Nordmark /

you should read Fred's Guide. You will find it in Resources, then go to Articles, then Scroll down to Fred's Guide to help you with your trouble shooting of your problem.

alright.. update and whatnot.. it stopped fouling out my plugs.. it idles pretty good.. but when I shift into gear and give it gas.. it dies.. pretty quick.. I cleaned the carb today.. I've never cleaned one, and it was kind of cold out.. so I think I did a half assed job.. I'm going to re-do it when I have some help.. any suggestions or thoughts? oh, and I used fred's guide.. a guide can only help so much before I get frustrated and sell the bike for cheep.

timmy

William Nordmark /

It sounds like your carburator needs a real good cleaning. Use carburator cleaner and soak it overnight. Remove all rubber and plastic parts before you do. Use a fine wire, like atie wrap from the grocery store, to clean all the little holes so you can see light thru them. Also use an air pressure hose with at least 80 psi to blow out the holes to get the tiny bits of dirt out. Lastly use a spray on carb cleaner to make sure all is clean on the inside. Do all that and it should work just fine.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account