puch timing so bad...

the puch i was working on had the timing set so bad the thing went backwards!! peddles going fast as shit and everything!!!

Re: puch timing so bad...

If it was that bad,it probably has a sheared flywheel key. don-ohio

i don't know it's fine now been riding it for two days. no problems.

what exactly is the flywheel key?

It's the little half-football shaped tab of metal that fits in the crankshaft groove and the magneto groove to keep them aligned. don-ohio

oh, cool. it's fine then. thanks

I doubt if it's fixed Pat, it will eventually give you problems again, so you might as well replace that key.

the real name fr it is a woodruf key u can prolly do what i did and go to the local hardware store find the one closest to the same size and grind it the rest of the way i mean if u want

Troy Brown /

how do you know when the two are lined up?

Patrick Mattison /

the key fits in the slot when it's lined up.

Troy Brown /

it seams like there is still a gap when i tighten it down

This happened to me as well just the other day. The amxi in question runs very poorly, and i though it could be over-advanced timing. At both extremes of the stator twist range, it will occaisionally start in reverse, and has terrible low end. It takes a city block to get up to 15 to 20.

Can the stator be attached in the wrong position? I thought there was only one way it lined up right. My woodruff key was on and in good condition.

weird i put this post up almost 2 years ago.

Just wondering did you have to replace that woodruff key in 2004?LOL.Jim

napa and other auto stores usually have a wider selection of woodruff keys, sometimes you dont even have to grind them down

i,guess i did, i don't even remember, i've worked on so many puchs.

Gotta love a backwards running motor.

My friend has a Derbi 50cc supermotard and they have a sporadic problem of running backwards. It would actually drive in reverse (really wierd looking)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account