MKII Dies out

I'm almost finished getting my Puch Maxi Sport MKII up and running. Replaced the spark plug, replaced the petcock, changed fuel line. Put gas into the tank and drained it to make sure the tank isn't clogged. Started it up, and got it going. I took it down the road and it got up to around 27 mph and then it died. I was able to get it to sputter at about 5-10mph all the way back the driveway but everytime I tried to apply the gas it would bog down. It appears to be getting gas, but feels like it's dying because it's not getting gas. At first I realized that the choke was sticking down so after I let it idle for a minute I pull it up. Sitting on the stand she revved like a dream. I let off of the throttle and she died again. The only extra part on the bike is a Proma Circuit Exhaust. Not sure of the jet size but I have a feeling that may need to be checked. What size jet should I have for a ZA50 (2 speed) puch motor with a Proma? Does anyone have an suggestions on how to get it running solid?

www.SurfaceRustBrigade.com

Re: MKII Dies out

You want a jet size that corresponds to what model and horsepower your engine is. There's a list here . If you have the 2HP, it's a 56. However, since you have the performance exhaust you're probably going to need to get a bigger jet...maybe a 60? I don't know if that's the cause of your problems...I kind of doubt it, in fact...but it's one thing you should do.

Stephen Rivers /

awsome, thanks, I'll at least give that a try, because as of now, I'm out of ideas. The only other thing I can think of is clean out the carb.

Always a good idea. Also make sure your airbox is properly restricted (my MKII bogged down at 15mph until I taped over half the hole on the airbox) and there are no air leaks.

If it revs great on the kickstand then dies when you try to ride it, you may likely have a bad seal somewhere. It seems suspect if the bike was running great and then suddenly lost power. Make sure that everything is tightened properly (using a torque wrench) - exhaust bolts, head bolts, bolts on the intake manifold. Make sure that you have gaskets on both the intake and exhaust manifolds, as well as both head and base gaskets on the top end. If all of this checks out, it's possible that you might have blown a seal.

Stephen Rivers /

Alright, I'll definetly check that out. I apreciate everyones help with this. I have a feeling that this is going to come down to me completly rebuilding this bike, wich isn;t a bad thing. If anyone else has some suggestions to add to the list, feel free to let me know!

www.SurfaceRustBrigade.com

What's you oil to gas ratio? Mix a good 40:1 gas to oil. The carb is either plugged or the gas cap may not be venting.

Clean all passages and the jet in the carb.Get that float bowl spotless. don-ohio (:^)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account