WANTED - moped in PA

Brian Janaszek /

i'm looking for a used moped in the pittsburgh pa area. i currently don't have a moped, but i live in the city, and it seems like it'd be a good way to get around when it's too hot to ride my bike into work.

ideally, the moped would be in working order, and have a title/registration....

thanks....

Re: WANTED - moped in PA

Dan Danner /

what are you looking to spend? im on the other side of the state. I have 3 or 4 to sell. Dan

Brian Janaszek /

humm....good question. a used puch i just looked at was $300. it was in decent shape with just some surface rust (no title though...that's why i didn't buy it). i guess it really depends how old it is...if it's running and in good shape, i'd be willing to spend $300 or $400 for it.

a title is a must though...the guy i spoke to at the PA dmv repeated over and over again -- "it's really not easy to get a moped registered without a previous title".

thanks....

Keith Cunningham /

Can't you just use a bill of sales? In NH you just have the seller write out a bill of sales with the VIN, year, and paid in full. Then the police come down and run the VIN and if nothing comes up he/she signs this blue sheet of paper and then off to the DMV to pick up your $5 registration. Maybe NH is more laxed on its laws.

-K

Brian Janaszek /

i've heard stories that even a bill of sale won't work....actually, even an MOC from the manufacturer might not get the job done....i read here on the list that the best way to do it is to "sell" your moped to a junkyard, then "buy" it back and register it as salvage. quite a pain.

the pa dmv is quite a bureaucracy....nothing is easy....

PA is the WORST state to deal with mopeds and the DMV. They simply do not care about riders or the bikes - you need expensive insurance, there are strict laws about titling - bills of sale mean nothing here.

Its really hard to explain to the DMV that the moped you just bought in Virginia could have been a lawn mower or a outboard engine for all they cared, and the title was lost long ago because it was a meaningless piece of paper to its former owner.

PA DMV is NOT good to moped riders.

Keith Cunningham /

Have you looked at other options? I heard in CA that you can register a "motorized bike." Who knows?

Brian - Do you have to go through the junkyard? I would say just get some to sell you a "parts" bike and tell the DMV you fixed it up yourself. Make sure if you do fix it up though that you keep all receipts cause they sometimes ask you what you put into it. Just a thought.

-K

Dan Danner /

true Pa is a lousy state for titles . There even passing law that you have to get atitle and insurance on those weedwacker engine scooters. here you have to have for a Quad. Insurance runs about $60 yr . bill of sale don't work. I had notorize bill of sale from a person Va, they wouldn't except it.

Keith Cunningham /

That is nuts. Insurance is not required in NH so I get away from having to pay that. I recently bought a running 1983 Honda Aero 50 scooter from a guy at the local racetrack. Its definetley a pit bike, no blinkers, no kickstand, but I gave him a $100 and he gave me a scoot. The next day I go up to the DMV and tell them I wanna register a moped. I give the VIN, Make/Model, and $8 and I get registration and a plate. In Sept I need to get my new registration which will cost me $5 and I will never ever need to get it inspected or anything. All you moped/scooter folk should more to NH where the air is clean and then I will have people to ride with :-)

-K

Oh and you don't need to be a certain distance from the curb.

yea i am going to try and get a title for mine.... I hope i have any luck :(

PA titling is absolutley the WORST! Last summer when I first got into mopeds I almost just gave up. I had to practically be a detective for about 3 weeks. The man's name on the title I had was misspelled. There was NO way on earth that I was going to be able to transfer the title to me unless I found this man. I remember being on the phone for hours and hours (maybe 5 at a time) with the DMV, police officers, courts, etc. It was INSANE. All to ride a freakin' moped.

I can't even tell you how many mopeds I have passed up within in the past few weeks because of no titles. I just visited a man that had 5 peds in his garage(2 Vespa Piaggos, 2 Hondas, and a Tomos) but no titles for any of them. It really makes me mad because all of them could be on the road with a little work.

If anyone has any good (or bad) stories on getting peds registered in PA I would love to hear from you.

Gordy

Keith Cunningham /

What kind of hondas? I could use those up here in NH and my dad is in Pittsburgh right now! Let me know. Talk him down if they don't have titles and be like whats the use, i cannot register it and then sell it to me!! yey

Ekoostic,

I'm thinking there was only one Honda. Maybe 77-79 PA50? I'm really not sure, but I will check it out for you. I think it needed some things.

gordy

Keith Cunningham /

nice i have a pa50 yellow from 1978 that I needed a couple of parts for. let me know if you find out, if not no worries. Any idea how much he wanted for it?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account