Peugot on Ebay...good deal?

There's a 1978 Peugeot listed on Ebay in my area for $125. I don't have a ped but am looking to buy one in the near future. What should I expect to pay for a bike like this? I'm considering buying this ped, but I wanted someone with ped-knowledge to see it first.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35622&item=1875697925

Re: Peugot on Ebay...good deal?

Correction...the current bid is $125, of course it will probably go up. But if someone gave me a general idea of where the good deal stops and the silliness begins, that would be great.

I read the eBay auction and have this opinion.

If the bike is in the condition stated it would take minimal effort to get the bike running and keep it running. As far as the price, what is reasonable, goes that is a value judgment based upon what is avalible in your area, and how badly you want a moped. But as a guess based upon what I have seen in Ohio about $300.00 would be the turning point between a good deal and paying too much. Less than $300.00 would be a bargain and over $300.00 would not be a bargain. But, paying over $300.00 may be worth it to you if you really, really, really want the bike, and can afford it.

Also, paying over the $300.00 may be worth it to you to actually have a bike now. Ask yourself this question, "would paying $X.xx over a reasonable price, and having a bike now give me more satisfaction than paying less money 4 or 5 months from now for a bike?"

Of course if you get the bike you do realize that no matter how much or how little you pay you will find another, cheeper, and in better condition bike about two months after you buy this one. But this will only happen if you buy this bike.

Vimy Ridgeway /

Kevin that's the best needs-based analysis for the mope I've read on this board. The only other points I would make are:

Older mopes appreciate in value if cared for, and Matt will always be able to sell it for the same price or more.

Since everyone falls in love with their mope, the shoulda-coulda-woulda won't matter in a few months.

I think this one is a great deal up to $300. At $400, you can do better.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Maybe someone eventually could put together an Article on this site on "How to Buy a Moped". That might help the newbies like me out, and increase the number of people that look into getting them, thereby increasing the Swarming and Destroying factor worldwide!

I see you got the bike for $152.00. Congratulations, you got a good deal.

Booyah! Thanks.

Peter Denenberg /

good deal! congratulations! - I have 3 of these and think they are great!

Vimy Ridgeway /

Great deal. I reluctantly let go a 103 last year, nasty black colour. Still, that's one more mope in good hands.

Just to follow up.... I brought the ped home a few days ago, and just got it running today. Had some rust in the tank, needed an inline fuel filter on it, and a little steel wool action on the rusty parts, but other than that it's great! I really like it. Just needs a little tune up and to get legalized, then I'm off!

good for you matt. ride safe..........paul

Kim Campanella /

congrats on your new moped. i have a workshop repair manual if your interested.email me at pedgirl@cs.com.they come in handy for maintainance and for specs

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account