Re: I WANT YOUR BROKEN INTAKES, CARBURETORS & REED BLOXX

Most 3d printers are at temp at 180°

Large motors like said fords are cooled to usually about the same temp, maybe a tad bit higher than that, 190, 195 sometimes

Case inducted intakes rarely reach much of a high temp at all

Piston port cylinders often reach temps twice what a 3d printer would

Yes, I know technology advances and some newer plastics/resins can handle the higher temps, but heat it plastics Achilles heel and IMO that technology hasn't reached the casual hobbyist yet and even the intakes in the pic aren't flush and are nearly guaranteed to crack in their current state just from being bolted on.

Not saying it can't be done, just highly skeptical of the tech available to hobbyists at the price point to be practical right now

Terbo Speghetti /

Lol "most 3d printers are at temp at 180"

What if I told you mine is at temp at 25! (edited)

Terbo Speghetti /

You're really not understanding a pretty fundamental part of this, I'm not melting any plastic ever. There's no extruder involved at all. And nothing is perfectly flush immediately after it's made. If you read closely, you'd see that I mention the flanges needing some kinda post-processing.

I just can't understand trying as hard as you are to dissuade some obviously better-informed people than yourself

Because its been attempted many times, funded well, by well known manufacturers and the results are always the same. The intakes warp and the weight of the carb distort them. Pretty much everything materials wise was tried, even carbon fiber. The results are always the same. I suppose in the case of case inducted, extremely short intakes like av10 and pugs there's less chance of that but within a few weeks eventually they droop, sag, warp, crack etc.

Every few years we go through this with new materials and every time the results are the same. I suppose that would make me way more informed on the subject than all of you, so no need to get bent out of shape. The fact is, this isn't new, it isn't cutting edge, you're 6 years behind the last attempt already with far superior materials and in the end the results are always the same metal is the way to go.

Trust me. All of the manufacturers want to be able to successfully pull this off but the tests have been ongoing for nearly a decade and you are already behind the curve.

Terbo Speghetti /

Lol if anyone is vent outta shape, it's you. What do you gain by shitting on someone's efforts? I'm not spending your money, and at this point I wouldn't sell you one even if you wanted it.

You've clearly got very little experience with additive manufacturing of any kind if you think "most 3d printers are up to temp at 180." That's barely enough to melt the lowest temperature materials sold for FDM 3D printers, not to mention the fact that those are a tiny fraction of the market. Even materials I would never consider using for a project like this require at least 30 degrees higher temp than that.

You even said yourself, a case inducted two stroke won't get anywhere near as hot as a piston port would, so at worst I'm only gonna be able to do half the mopeds on here. What a shame! I should just give up now.

You're completely ignoring the fact that the end of this is a library of 3d modeled intakes that can be used with any number of manufacturing methods, even the *~©METAL©~* you love so much.

Your perspective reeks of "BACK IN MY DAY WE DIDN'T LET PLASTIC MIX WITH METAL, IT'S NOT NATURAL"

You can't or won't provide anything to back up your claims except "THAT'S THE WAY IT'S ALWAYS BEEN" and you make nonsense assertions like "the tests have been going on for decades"

lolllll the world is dumping a ton of money into small displacement two stroke engineering these days, eh? Which companies are those again?

Get fucked. Even if I can't make a single good intake, I'll die on the hill that I should try, and I hope you choke on your own smegma.

Yep … nothing is ever accomplished by those that don’t try … go for it and good luck …

Terbo Speghetti /

Thanks dude. I appreciate the support

Well, treats and mlm to be specific. But what the hell do they know about moped parts. Its not like I would know anything about it being hands on with product development and a block away from where its all made. This county is a manufacturing Juggernaut. We have some of the best fabricators and 3d printers in the country here making your moped parts.

I wasn't here to shit on your parade, I'm here to tell you that you need to do more research. You're behind the game and in over your head.

But whatever, throw all the short man syndrome vitriol my way. Guess I can just sit back and watch this fail with a smug grin instead of a helping hand instead.

Terbo Speghetti /

Lol no you came here to pose and act like a fucking know-it-all.

To say "we have some of the best 3d printers" is an absurd thing to say. What could you possibly have to back that up?

And do you work for treats? Or are you just throwing their name out? Some brand ambassador you are if you do work for them...

And to your point that I'm "behind the game and in over my head" at least I know what temp a 3d printer runs at. I wouldn't want help from a cocky piece of shit like you anyway.

And how could you possibly know what amount of research I've done?

The purpose of the post was research!

Keep pretending you're not butthurt that you and the fucking amish dorks in Elkhart couldn't figure out what I'm about to do.

Terbo Speghetti /

Literally every pipe I've ever bought from MLM didn't fit. If you have anything to do with that company and you think I'm doing something wrong, I know I'm doing it right

Terbo Speghetti /

"I wasn't here to shit on your parade, I'm here to tell you that you need to do more research."

Is that what this was?

"The fact is, this isn't new, it isn't cutting edge, you're 6 years behind the last attempt already with far superior materials and in the end the results are always the same metal is the way to go."

You're a mean old has-been from the state with the worst education system in the region, now go weld some pipes that don't fit anyone's bike

Terbo Speghetti /

Bump cuz I'm on the second page now. Gimme your broken junk people!

I have an old OEM Tomos A55 Intake Manifold

Terbo Speghetti /

I'll take it! DM me

Really the point is, 3d printing is definitely in a fuck around and find out phase right now, most things haven't been tried, and new materials and techniques are being developed every day. Only way to find out if it will work or not is to try, and keep failing until you either make it work or get sick of beating your head against it.

Terbo Speghetti /

Exactly! Even if I fail and never make one functional intake, I'm learning every day about the design of the original parts and the materials available and the methods to use them with the different kinds of printing tech that's out there.

For having a sub-$200 printer, I'm honestly surprised at how much progress I've made. And I'm having fun too! So why would I stop when a guy with a puka shell necklace and wide leg jeans tells me to? Ok I digress

Pablo Puchasso /

One side of this thread has big “Simpsons did it” energy.

can you send me a prototype for a Motobecane mobylette 50L

with the L bend/curve? opening 15mm

Terbo Speghetti /

I have unfortunate news, I've had to put this project on hold until I find facilities with better ventilation. I managed to knock myself out cleaning one of these 3d printed parts and got a concussion and some seizures in the process. So yeah, I'm gonna have to put it on the back burner until I get a fume hood for the printers

that sounds bad! are you ok?

Terbo Speghetti /

I've been better, but the scary stuff is over *I think*

So now I'm just sitting around waiting to get cleared by a neurologist to drive so I can go back to work and get some funds for these lil projects

🦺🥇b to the MOPO 🚨🚨🚨 eff /

Yikes dude, best wishes. I had a serious concussion last year and it was very much no fun.

I highly recommend PT at a concussion clinic if there's one near you.

Curtis, mopeds ain't that cool to die over. Be safe in the lab my friend.

Terbo Speghetti /

I can tell you're serious cuz you're using my real boi name lol.

I'm working on all this stuff, gotta make a bunch of appointments for stuff, including the Crohn's disease care that was neglected during the whole episode.

Can't tell you how much it means that any of you care tho, I promise to do all the taking-care-of-myself that you're asking for. (edited)

GOOD!

duuuuuuuude that sucks, i saw some of your posts but didn't hear about what happened. yeah some of those chemicals are no joke, and the whole thing about regular joe's in their garage playing with toxic industrial process shit is dodgy as hell.

at least its some time to get CAD practice and draw shit up for when you're back on your feet. make the most of it, i always tell people even if you just make like nonsense parts for practice, or practice reverse engineering a bunch of stuff, trying to figure out how to form weird features and shit is great learning.

Terbo Speghetti /

Yeah I'll totally take your intakes still! Gotta design em sometime.

As for the CAD practice, there's a silver lining in all of this, I think this time off work (having freshly finished an associate degree in manufacturing with a 4.0) is a good time to look at schools where I can do an accelerated undergrad/masters program like this one at UC Irvine for example.

They're the first place I've found with that program as well as a concentration in manufacturing which is what I see myself doing. If anyone has any suggestions for other schools I'm all ears tho!

But also I'll still buy your broken intakes for $5 but you'll have to lend me five bones cuz I'm not working at the moment lol

> Ryan Sadler wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> can you send me a prototype for a Motobecane mobylette 50L

>

> with the L bend/curve? opening 15mm

never mind i don't need it

Terbo Speghetti /

Sorry man, things got really real really fast. I'll still make you an intake someday, I promise

Pablo Puchasso /

Irvine? You’d be a SoCal boi. Sweet

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account