Feeler: Puch Z50 (manual trans) kick and electric start

Richard Ensor /

I bought this while living in the UK. Never had a chance to work on it. Parts are extremely rare. Whole engines are even more so! Missing the stator. Has original top end. I was planning to have it honed and an oversized piston installed. Has electric start and kick start. Located in Syracuse, NY.

34C2F170-2F7B-447A-A1A8-42936AF2B3E5.jpeg
1164225E-0B7D-424B-9788-C7E2965C829D.jpeg
90106F6C-AA04-4619-BF06-25F096C36EF9.jpeg

Re: Feeler: Puch Z50 (manual trans) kick and electric start

Shawn Skibicki /

Pm sent…

Woa woa woa. That is not a z50. That is a spanish style maxi engine made by puch/hero and even has some honda components on it. I have owned 2 of them and you can tell by a few things on it.

1 is the cylinder. The 3 bolt intake is the hero cylinders

2 is the side cover that says puch on it.

3 is the electric start, z50 didnt have that.

4 where is the clutch stuff on the engine? Z50's are 2 speed shifter engines, it would have at least a clutch cable coming out.

5 the way the magneto is setup on this engine. If you remove that cover that says PUCH it will have the stator plate attached to it with the magneto flipped and the dishes side facing out.

Not to say these are not really neat and fun engines, but it is NOT a z50. It should say something like ea50 on it.

Couple things to note on these when buying a new coil for it. It is a cdi setup so you need a controller with your HT coil. The rotation of the engine is like an e50, but the electronics are all flipped with the way they are attached to the engine so the electronic rotation is actually like and za50 so get electric components for that. Took me about a year to really figure that one out. So, you're welcome.

The transfers on these engines are huge, these engines can have a lot of potential for sure.

I see the clutch arm between the clutch cover and the cylinder. The shifter linkage is on the rear of the cylinder.

Richard Ensor /

Amazing information! I had no idea what I was getting into when I bought this a few years back. Thank you for the tip on the stator plate (it’s missing). Any idea what this is worth btw?

> Blake MD No PM Plz wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I see the clutch arm between the clutch cover and the cylinder. The

> shifter linkage is on the rear of the cylinder.

Rear of the engine* it's a cable/twist shift 2 speed. The half moon shaped piece on the rear rocks left or right via 2 cables to select gear.

Shawn Skibicki /

It’s a z50.. 100%

Well maybe some more up close pics will solve it for certain. The z50's I've seen just look different than this engine which I have had 2 of. I could be wrong.

Shawn Skibicki /

I have two z50s and this looks a lot like them. I don’t know why they would put a clutch arm or a gear select on it if it wasn’t a 2 speed…

35EA41DA-3B3F-4A3E-BEE1-B907FD8DF326.jpeg
4CBFF623-8474-43F6-B065-60370466581A.jpeg

Good eye shawn!

Richard Ensor /

I'm looking for $800 plus shipping on this.

Isn’t this just the “E50” commonly off the Hero Puch 4 Wheeler?

id do $

@garrett Thought the same, but it infact has the shifting arm for the 2 speed manual that is the z50.

Richard Ensor /

@fapdragon Negative

campeona del mundo /

it's a puch hero turbo sport 2g engine. the same cases/casting, ignition and top end(maybe) as the hero puch quad but those had a centrifugal clutch instead of gears.

they have huge ass transfers and you can bolt the "hero" kit right onto it. the hero kit is just the stock turbo sport cylinder.

cool motors, but be delicate with them as the casting quality is pretty low

Richard Ensor /

We have already covered this issue. This has a 2spd manual transmission. See the previous reply’s.

Anything hero-puch is not good quality, even brand new they were trash. What you have is a nice example of cool-rare-garbage. Not even close to being worth what you’re asking, especially since you don’t have the shifter or stator. Even the most original NOS engine with zero miles would probably not sell for $850 on here. Try eBay if you want to make money off of mopeds. (edited)

> Daniel '' wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Anything hero-puch is not good quality, even brand new they were trash.

> What you have is a nice example of cool-rare-garbage. Not even close to

> being worth what you’re asking, especially since you don’t have the

> shifter or stator. Even the most original NOS engine with zero miles

> would probably not sell for $850 on here. Try eBay if you want to make

> money off of mopeds.

Where were hero puchs produced again?

todd amundson /

Somewhere there’s a photograph of the outdoor poring process at the Hero factory in India. It’s bonkers. My single speed hero motor is actually real clean. About the only thing that’s interchangeable is the crankshafts and clutch components. The Z50 crank is the same as single or two speed Hero Puchs. 1 or 2 speeds take the same crank only different clutches and covers. Back to that photograph, there’s hundreds of barrels of what I believe to be Dioxin in the background. Marked by orange stripes. Anyone know this image? I’m trying to find it.

Regular z50

20220105_081624.jpg
20220105_081641.jpg
20220105_081658.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account