Looking for my first moped

Hello All!

I am 33 years old and am interested in buying my first moped. I have a full size silverado and I want something I can just fire up and putt around town in. I am located in Ohio. Anyone looking to sell a moped or someone that could point me in the right direction would be GREATLY appreciated. Also, any do's/don't advice is appreciated since I am a rookie in the moped game haha.

Re: Looking for my first moped

Nic Deville /

Thanks! What do you PERSONALLY recommend from your experiences? It's hard to find mopeds around my area it seems!

Nic Deville /

Personally recommend as in brand/type. Also, what do you recommend for speed? I believe most of them are around 30-35mph? but its easy to mod to make it faster, correct?

So many variables to this...

How skilled and experienced are you turning wrenches, and on what? These old mopeds are a niche market. If you want reliability, hard to say you'll get it. The technology is old, so tinkering is more the rule than the exception. The more you modify the stock engine, typically makes it necessary to do more tinkering. There's a hierarchical chart of mopeds, from high popularity and quality, to dead end, totally orphaned brands that very few like and recommend. Higher tier means more people interested and probably higher asking prices, aside from pure good luck scoring a barn find. Look at Puch, Tomos, and maybe Honda for your first choice, though some here will disagree. This site can be awesome, but also takes a thick skin at times. The Army and the bikes are worth the trouble, overall. Good luck and post again as you search and find options

Nic Deville /

I’m not very skilled when it comes to working on vehicles in general

campeona del mundo /

yamaha zuma

id say for your first moped a Puch maxi 2hp would be ideal, simple to fix, maintain and upgrade.

The main thing is parts availability, which the maxi has TONS of, but the moped itself can be expensive to obtain on the 2nd hand market (compared to other mopeds)

a tomos would be my second choice.

oddball for reliability, Yamaha QT50, I've had 3 and cant kill em, superb in terms of a daily.

Nic Deville /

Thanks! Someone about 45 min from me posted this. Is this a bad moped or bad price??

D4FAD4AA-3D30-4403-97A3-F64445B5EF53.png
24283E82-2A84-4BB9-9AA0-1CC07BD48D57.png

That shit's 2 years old. I'm pretty sure that bike was just sold in Mansfield by somebody else. Don't buy a Motobecane for your first bike. Get a Tomos (edited)

Nic Deville /

Thanks!

Nic, I'm just up the road in Boardman. Although I don't have a bike for sale , like Nick said, Tomos for your first bike. Parts available, if your lucky as I was you need to get one already running. But. You really want to , and have to learn to work on them. Stay in touch .

We’re down a short ways away from you in Pittsburgh. I’ll just urge you to avoid buying anything from a shop and make sure you do lots of homework regarding maintenance. You’d be amazed what some research on here can do for you and how much money it will save you in the long run. Fred’s Guide is amazing and the wiki is incredibly valuable no matter what bike you end up with. A Puch Maxi or Tomos Targa can be resurrected very easily and tons of people start with those. Additionally, there are tons of people in your area and surrounding towns that would dig crackin into a moped with you. Take your time, the right bike will definitely show up

Nic Deville /

Too many miles I assume?

5063DD97-7E7A-4200-AE9D-2A0837DA6087.jpeg

A tomos or a puch. Since you're in Ohio you should be able to get a step thru model that runs for $300 or less.

That tomos isn't a bad buy. I'd probably get it.

I'd bet money they are reading the odometer wrong and counting the last digit as whole mile when it's actually 10ths of a mile...ya know the white digit... Probably 1054.5 miles

Looks too good for a 10k mile bike...even of it is it was taken care of.

Nic Deville /

Aaron,

This is the picture posted with it.

7554B370-0E31-44AF-A43F-421C29FB6B43.jpeg

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's 25+ years old, regardless of actual mileage, it's in your best interest just to rebuild it anyways. Especially given that for less than $100 in tools and parts you can have bearings/seals all fresh.

Nic Deville /

Some fella posted this. 1977 Tomos a3. 500 miles. “Completely rebuilt last summer shortly after I bought it from a dealer. Fires right up. New motor, new tires, new exhaust”. He is asking $1,800 or best offer. Thoughts?

E2A8855F-03C7-4BBC-BF03-46C909EABF41.jpeg
E85884BE-4D47-4752-AC37-324FF82EB538.jpeg
BEC46283-3315-453E-9DC9-4CB983519A2C.jpeg

> Nic Deville wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Some fella posted this. 1977 Tomos a3. 500 miles. “Completely rebuilt

> last summer shortly after I bought it from a dealer. Fires right up. New

> motor, new tires, new exhaust”. He is asking $1,800 or best offer.

> Thoughts?

That's $800-1000 too much. I sold a freshly rebuilt Tomos with good tires, brakes, cables, a stuffy crankshaft, jammer clutch, airsal kit, Estoril pipe, and VM18 with matching intake for $1000 earlier this year. That poor bastard bought that bike from a shop in PA for like $2k and will never be able to sell it for what he paid for it.

Mileage doesn't mean dick in mopeds. You can literally replace the crankshaft and every bearing in a Tomos for like $200 total and 2 hours of your time. (edited)

Nic Deville /

Nick,

Thanks man. Sorry. I just caught the pedal fever and just keep looking at everything possible. Thanks for the info!

Nic Deville /

Fella posted this 1980 Sachs Balboa for $550. Thoughts?

E3EA680A-68A8-4B67-986C-BEC2CC9E112C.jpeg
46E13C4B-C2D2-4C3B-8BC2-A468CA37B940.jpeg
E2BDAE95-AFBB-4F97-BE3E-3069DB0AAF00.jpeg

Nic Deville /

ahhh nevermind. needs more work than I thought

Sachs are fine but they are slow. They are extremely difficult to make fast and keep reliable at all. The clutches are the major weak point, they can't handle any power increase. A lot of Sachs came with snowflakes, not particularly desireable wheels or anything. That particular example is closer to a $400 bike assuming it's running (edited)

> Nic Deville wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Some fella posted this. 1977 Tomos a3. 500 miles. “Completely rebuilt

> last summer shortly after I bought it from a dealer. Fires right up. New

> motor, new tires, new exhaust”. He is asking $1,800 or best offer.

> Thoughts?

NO NO NO.

That is like $1200 too much for that bike. It's a scam.

Unfortunately it’s not a scam. That fella bought that bike from a shop close to where we’re from and sadly these folks are convincing lots of people that these mopeds are worth these inflated amounts. These listings will be out there for quite some time. Highly overpriced.

Nic Deville /

Thanks!

Nic Deville /

79 Tomos Bullet

3,100 miles

$800.

Seller is hours away, though

image.jpg

That's a stock a3 motor, but a pretty early Tomos model (78 or 79) with somewhat rare Tomos Snowflakes. For $800 you shouldn't be buying a stock a3 bike with old ass tires and cables. What's wrong with that green top tank?

Nic Deville /

This is the description for the green targa

Also…told that dude I’d go no more than $600 on the blue 77 tomos a3 and he said “Sorry. I spent that on upgrades alone

image.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account