Fs: Puch snowflake rear brake plate

LSLB Zach Richards /

$100 shipped comes with hardware in the picture

BED35A9F-C48D-4F95-B187-0D9ED1287835.jpeg
649A3F76-59EE-4921-BE56-56CEADB8788A.jpeg

Re: Fs: Puch snowflake rear brake plate

todd amundson /

This is bullshit right?

Like those crazy Wayne kits and coffee mugs on treats?

Apparently they are hard to find. I had to scoop one to run a pug razz wheel a few years ago… got it for cheap but I guess that sort of buying has taken its toll.

Yikes.... I have a set of snowflakes that are complete except for a rear plate. Would love to use them, but that is $$$.

Dirty30 Dillon /

These are the #1 failed/damaged part on one of the most popular brand's most popular wheelsets.

I know 3 people who are currently trying to track one of these down. The low supply and high demand is only going to make these more valuable as moped people continue to blow them up.

What fails/breaks on them? I have 3 sets of snowflakes being used on bikes. I've never had an issue with them.

campeona del mundo /

they are very hard to find. the last one i had i could have sold for 100 bucks, but i gave it to a homie to keep their maxi on the road.

supply and demand. they aren't making any more of these so prices are getting up there. i don't know why im mentioning this though when the vast majority of MA seems to be in stuck in 2008 and won't shut up about how "expensive" everything is getting. im sure this thread will just digress into everyone talking about how they bought their entire bike for 100 bucks...

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Taylor King Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What fails/breaks on them? I have 3 sets of snowflakes being used on

> bikes. I've never had an issue with them.

When the loose bearings come undone on these, the tight tolerances to the wheel hub cause the plate to impact and slowly wear out the plate. If you service your hubs, this is completely avoidable. Sadly, general moped folks don't do that, historically.

Blake Totally a real doctor /

Yeah, these are gold. If you need one, this is the buy because you won't find them unless you luck onto a junk Puch to part out.

> campeona del mundo Wrote:

> they are very hard to find. the last one i had i could have sold for 100

> bucks, but i gave it to a homie to keep their maxi on the road.

>

> supply and demand. they aren't making any more of these so prices are

> getting up there. i don't know why im mentioning this though when the

> vast majority of MA seems to be in stuck in 2008 and won't shut up about

> how "expensive" everything is getting. im sure this thread will just

> digress into everyone talking about how they bought their entire bike

> for 100 bucks...

This

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> When the loose bearings come undone on these, the tight tolerances to

> the wheel hub cause the plate to impact and slowly wear out the plate.

> If you service your hubs, this is completely avoidable. Sadly, general

> moped folks don't do that, historically.

If a bearing cup disintegrates and/or the axel snaps in half then the hub assembly (sans the brake drum) can collapse very suddenly and all that lateral force takes a helluva toll on the brake plate. I was able to salvage a warped brake plate once but it took a lot of patience and attention and was only usable in a sealed bearing converted wheel.

This is why I always recommend converting the back wheel to sealed bearings - the wheel and components themselves are plenty strong but that stock loose bearing 11MM axel setup is weak As Fuck. Funny though, never had a problem with the stock front wheel set ups though.

Always search rando parts bins for snowflake brake plates at any motorbike swap meet 'cause you might get lucky enough to find one and even luckier if the seller doesn't know about any of this.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account