1978 Garelli VIP 2spd

Rob Fattore /

Located in New Jersey

It Ran but now it doesn’t

Put in fuel plugs cleaned carburetor, pretty sure it’s the points or magneto which I have a brand new one that’ll go with it.

It has 25 miles on it , some rust on chrome. Seat looks new, tires good body good no rust cows with extra pedals new

Like to get $500. Must pick up or arrange pick up shipping etc.

Will send more pics and info upon interest (edited)

D2563895-6CE8-4180-ADD3-B5A4B3E1490F.jpeg

Re: 1978 Garelli VIP 2spd

Nice bike! Little pricey for not running but GLWS.

Rob Fattore /

Going go buy a magneto puller and hope have running tomorrow

Jesse Nordlander /

Good price with that low of miles. U can clean points without pulling flywheel.

Rob Fattore /

I can’t figure how to with instruction book I have

Just pop off the magneto engine cover. The flywheel should be visible. It has wintows cut out on the front of it. As you turn the flywheel you should be able to access the points via those windows. Just clean them with some rubbing alcohol on a cloth and make sure they are opening and closing as they should when you rotate the flywheel. If they require more cleaning then take some 1000 grit sand paper and sand both contact points and clean with the alcohol once more.

Rob Fattore /

Ok thanks

Rob Fattore /

May possibly be parting this out completely. Cannot find the title , is a title necessary ?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Title required in NJ, but it can always be registered in VT and then transfer title to NJ.

If I were closer, I’d be all over this. Don’t part it out. It’s too nice. (edited)

Rob Fattore /

Ok. Thanks for the information

Dont part it out please. There was never a title for it. Most states didnt require these bikes to be titled, especially back when it was originally manufactured. There are still a few states that dont require plates of any kind. Just make a bill of sale for the new owner, but I have found that was not even needed when I went to plate some bukes.

"I'll part it out" says the person not willing to spend the hour getting their bike running.

Shit happens all the time, the light bulb goes off that on eBay the prices mean they could get double what they want for the bike as it sits if they just take it apart and put them up for sale, but a lot of people forget that there is a low demand for parts relative to how cheaply you can just get a non-running moped. Why pay $40 for a stock Garelli exhaust header on eBay when I can go buy a complete non-running Garelli for $150?

So this person starts tearing their bike apart, sells the 2 most desirable parts on their bike for $100, awesome. But then nothing else is selling, 6 months go by and the bike is still sitting there, albeit in pieces. So then you wind up taking a $300-400 bike and removing parts on it to make $100, and you either sell it for $100 or you just give up and throw most of the parts out. When you could have just sold the damn bike for $250-300 and not spent hours of your valuable time taking everything apart, putting up pictures, etc.

I've seen it happen again and again, the solution isn't parting the bike out; it's to lower your price.

Sorry for the rant but I hate when people part out complete bikes because they're too lazy to learn how to get it running. That almost always results in a good bike being destroyed and the owner losing money without much benefit to anyone except the 2 people who buy parts off of it.

Rob Fattore /

No one is lazy , only moving and it’s not even mine but part of an estate of my gf father

Rob Fattore /

Yea I found out info and you are correct so I’m good now. Thanks

> Rob Fattore Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> No one is lazy , only moving and it’s not even mine but part of an

> estate of my gf father

Then parting it out will be a nightmare. Everything you could ever need to know about that bike is on this website. It can be fixed in 10 minutes if you just file/clean the points, I can almost guarantee that's the problem if you don't have spark.

Rob Fattore /

I just did clean them. But I noticed I don’t have spark , will try again however I have two brand new flywheels magneto etc so I may just put one of them in it however I believe I need a certain tool (edited)

Rob Fattore /

My main reason initially for parting was because I thought a title was needed.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

If you sell that bike to another nj resident with a bill of sale, the buyer will not get a NJ title. Trust me, I lived in NJ for 56 of my 57 years on this earth, not to mention titling dozens of mopeds in this state. Your best bet is to sell it to someone who lives in a non-title state, or someone willing to go the VT route.

Rob Fattore /

Ok thank you

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Rob, just out of curiosity, do you know the name of your gf’s moped shop? Was it “Moped Palace” by any chance?

Rob Fattore /

Started for second after I cleaned points

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Keep cleaning them. You’re getting close.

> Rob Fattore Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Started for second after I cleaned points

Nice! If spark is consistent a quick carb clean will almost certainly bring it back to life, if spark isn't consistent file/clean the points a little more and it should be good to go

Rob Fattore /

Will do. Thanks

I think the rear brake bulb is a garelli safety as well make sure its clean if no ones mentioned it.

Rob Fattore /

Which bulb. There’s two. The bottom looks ok and good. Top I can’t figure how to get off.

PM sent.

I went the VT route for my CB350, FYI they don't require vin inspections currently due to covid if you needed one per their rules.

Bottom bulb is tail light. Top bulb is brake light.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

After you file points it is critical to run some paper or cardboard through them a few times to get the leftover grit off them. I usually cut a thin strip of a carboard box like one from a spark plug, and run that through as tight as you can without ripping. If you don't, you may get the inconsistent spark thing because the points make weak or intermittent contact.

Rob Fattore /

Sale pending

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account