WTB ZA50 Tools

Anyone have some ZA50 tools laying around to sell? Tearing into my first ZA50 and looks like some tools I don't have would make the process better. Looking for both the clutch and 2nd gear holding tool. If I cant save a few bucks buying used on here it looks like Treats has them and can add to my growing order.

Thanks.

ZA50_TOOLS.gif

Re: WTB ZA50 Tools

Kenny Shinneman /

looks like I may have the 2nd gear locking tool located, but still need the clutch holding tool.

Anyone??

Thanks..

If you have a cordless impact, socket driver bit, appropriate sockets - you don't need any fancy tools. - if you have that, ask questions and I'll give you advice.

Kenny Shinneman /

I have an air impact and tried but was unable to remove the nut. I only managed to send a couple of the roller bearings flying across the garage.

I never needed an impact. Just a leverage bar for my socket wrench. I think I also used a hammer to tap my wrench a few time.... analog impact wrench.

I have taken a few of these engines apart this way.

Kenny Shinneman /

It sounds like I'm not doing something right then. I've watch a few of the videos online and read all the wiki's about it both using the tools and not. I tried the "not" version of using the tools and felt like I was going to damage something along with flying roller bearings before the nut would move.

Kenny, even the tools dont hold the roller bearings in place. You can remove them and keep them someplace safe while you get things loosened up.

They do hold the gears in place so you dont have to try wedging the 11mm socket into your sprocket.

What about a second pair of hands helping you hold some pieces? What helped me the last time I did a za50 was my engine stand that clamps into my vice.

If you are trying to do this while the engine is on the bike it wont work. Maybe it can be done with the special tools tho.

Kenny Shinneman /

I have the engine out bolted to a bracket clamped in a vice. Do I need the second hand to hold the gear from trying to spin?

Probably Fred /

> Alex Samul Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If you have a cordless impact, socket driver bit, appropriate sockets -

> you don't need any fancy tools. - if you have that, ask questions and

> I'll give you advice.

No holding tools is not good advice

For without the holding tools if the reverse nut is on too tight and you use the DIY “socket to hold the countershaft sprocket method” without using the proper holding tools you're Stressing counter shaft bearings and main shaft bearings,

I use impact in disassembly but I use the correct holding tools so it doesn’t jar the whole drivetrain

The Main gear holding tool isolates all that and doesn’t put load on the countershaft and other bearings that are pressed in place

The clutch holding tool isolates forces on the crank and keeps you from flat spotting bearings and twisting your crank which is only pressed together too.

Treats or other person places maybe could have a simple Za50 factory tool kit available for rent so people could at least take apart tranny without damage and torque without damage or over tightening overtwisting everything

I’ve worked on many of these engines that these people messed with these incorrect hammer, broken beer bottle, coat hanger, piece of string DIY methods I’m sick of it,

Most of the problems could’ve been avoided if even they had holding tools

Kenny Shinneman /

Good advice. I will purchase the tools before I finish. I was hoping to get it disassembled before the tools could be shipped so I did give it a try without them. I do like having the correct tools for the job even if I only use them once.

No desire to argue with anyone on the internet - BUT my experience disassembling (and reassembling) dozens of za50 transmissions is that the best way to take the stuff apart is with an impact and your hands only. Here are my "tips and tricks." Maybe I'll make a YouTube video soon.

I first use bits from a manual impact driver in a cordless driver to pull the trans cover hardware off.

I hit the cover with a rubber mallet to get it to pop off. (I drain the oil from the cover, not the drain bolt. I do not remove the drain plug first. My experience is that you cannot guess how much some previous person tightened it, and if it does not leak, I don't want to pull any bits of aluminum case out with the steel drain bolt and cause a new leak in some customer bike / on my shop floor.)

When I do the 15mm reverse thread nut, I do not use the socket on sprocket trick any more. I just hold the gear cluster with my left hand and apply steady force towards myself while applying short bursts with the impact. If the battery impact does not work, I swap to an air one. This way there is no pressure on anything. I've gotten to the point where I can pull the impact off the moment it gets it loose. Then I turn the complete assembly with nut and barrels off the rest of the way by hand and keep all of the barrels in place. BUT as Jay mentioned, you can totally also just take the barrels out first.

For the larger nut, I use a super deep well 24mm on the impact and hold the clutches with my left hand again. I take the spark plug out so there is no compression on the top end. I don't pre-flatten the lock washer. I just quickly hit it with the cordless impact. (This one is never stuck like the reverse thread 15mm, so you won't need to use air). The quick spin flattens the lip of the lock washer "just enough," to thread the nut the rest of the way off with your fingers without mangling the lock washer nor putting any pressure on the clutches. It also preserves the bend in the lock washer enough to re-bend it the same / keeping it looking factory when putting it back together.

I also use the manual impact driver bit in the cordless impact to pull the flat heads out of the second gear to replace the pucks.

I'm not saying that this is the only way to do it BUT if I start with the tools laid to start out, I can have a za50 trans fully apart and laid out in order, completely in tact in like 5-7 minutes depending on how agreeable every part is.

I usually take a while for assembly because I thoroughly clean every part; check for weird markings that indicate things like rubbing or over heating or previous work; and wiggle and manipulate every little thing checking for play.

Obviously using factory tools will work, as will other community tips and tricks. I'm just sharing what has proven to be my winning formula having done dozens of these.

Good Luck! (edited)

Kenny Shinneman /

Also good advice Alex.. I thank everyone for the advice, tips and tricks.

Ken,

Loan out your tools man. We all got za50 engines to rebuild.

i think that you should buy the tools and support the community. I mean, its pretty cool that we have people making reproduction dealer tools. and by pretty cool, i mean SEVERELY SO FUCKING SICK ITS LIKE ACTUALLY CRAZY.

on the subject of using the dealers tools or not, I have them and I use them on both assembly and disassembly. I don't think puch would have gone through all the trouble of making specific tools for holding all of these transmission parts for no reason. but hey, who am I to say that?

but yea, buy those tools from treats.

support the people making these tools and selling them.

and if you really want, once you buy them you can become the za50 tool lender. that sounds pretty cool and also chill, but also badass, doesn't it?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account