WTB: Anything

Kinda new here, I'm looking for a moped right now and am interested if someone wouldn't mind pointing me in a general direction of where to find one? What to look for? What are considered some of the best? Like old thinks that have lots of style. Puchs are nice and I love anything euro. Also, does anyone know if major shippers (like Fedex) can ship? Or is there an issue due to the engine?

Re: WTB: Anything

Tweaker trash /

They ship

Benjamin LaPlante /

Read the wiki.

- Summerai - Corey Livieri /

If you're just starting out, I'd recommend something with an E50 base for a motor (Puch, Sears Free Spirit, JC Penney Pinto). A lot of parts are available and they're reliable if tuned correctly.

First timer. Go on Facebook marketplace and get a Tomos or Puch. So many aftermarket parts or replacement parts if needed. Tons of knowledge and articles to fix what you’d need AND they are both pretty easy to work on and can remain reliable (as much as mopeds can be).

You will end up having a blast, getting your heart broken, or both. Welcome to the club.

Conor Neupert /

Thanks Corey,

I've been looking for Something like that. There was a 1978 Puch Newport that was for sale or a Cimatti City bike. What would you consider a fair price for either of these? What's the difference between a Maxi and a Newport, if anything?

Conor Neupert /

Thank you, I've been scouring Facebook Marketplace in the hopes to find something... Haven't had much luck. Would love a Tomos.

- Summerai - Corey Livieri /

I may get roasted by some others who are really particular, but Maxis and Newports are pretty much the same thing. Price really depends on what condition it's in and where it's located. Feel free to send some ads my way of what you're looking at and I can give more feedback. mrlivieri@gmail.com

find whatever is cheap with a title, learn basic stuff first before $$$ out on expensive aftermarket.

ill go and say that a 505 Sachs-based moped is a good candidate, pretty simple, easy to get running (ish), and most importantly CHEAP! talking like 40-150$ for a good looking non-runner.

that or a honda hobbit or a Yamaha QT50, still relatively cheap and a decent aftermarket, also will run forever if taken care of.

Puchs and Tomos are kings, but command a scalping price for a beginner (like 500-600+$ for a beat to shit one) id say if you got the bling, or find a good deal, grab one of those. (edited)

Look to DOS

I wouldn't get hung up on a Puch or Tomos unless you really like them. There are lots of great mopeds, plenty of parts available, almost all are fairly simple. (Moby, Peugeot, Vespa, minarelli, Sachs...)

There are some that are never going to be easy to upgrade.-For example an AMF roadmaster with a McCulloch engine. Even those are fun and will force you to learn some basic tinkering.

Conor Neupert /

Mark would you say $1,200 for a nice original Puch Newport was reasonable? If I could find something for under $300 and it was close I'd be happy.

Do you know what premix, points or pedal pins are? i doubt it. Since u have no skillz/knowledge i propose you buy a runner off a known solid moped seller. Also It's easily worth driving a full day to pick up a runner (how many weeks/months do you think it will take you to figure how to fix a moped) or have pay to have it shipped. Theres a few on MA.

Conor Neupert /

Hey Pat,

I have a good idea of what a pre mixture is... Two stroke fuel/oil mixture. As far as pedal pins? Maybe something close to distributor points? I have some knowledge of ic engines... Took two years of auto tech but no real small engine experience. I don't have too much time but might be able to make a day trip or have fedex ship it. Not sure what they charge or how easy it is? I'm in Boise, Idaho. Not terribly close to MA I'm afraid.

I agree with Pat, buy a runner.

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Do you know what premix, points or pedal pins are? i doubt it. Since u

> have no skillz/knowledge i propose you buy a runner off a known solid

> moped seller. Also It's easily worth driving a full day to pick up a

> runner (how many weeks/months do you think it will take you to figure

> how to fix a moped) or have pay to have it shipped. Theres a few on MA.

> Conor Neupert Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Mark would you say $1,200 for a nice original Puch Newport was

> reasonable? If I could find something for under $300 and it was close

> I'd be happy.

ehhh, id say that's too much IMHO for your first moped, as your going to want to upgrade it and fix it, and that costs money.

personally, id pay 800 TOPS for a nice original puch or tomos, and that's really pushing it for me.

your best bet is to keep looking on facebook and craigslist, you'll find one eventually for the right price.

hell, i got a Suzuki FA50 laying around, missing a couple of things, no title though

got TONS of parts for it

figured 150$ plus shipping from MN, and its yours. (edited)

Conor Neupert /

Thanks Mark,

I'll certainly have to keep that in mind. I think I'll definitely continue searching. The one Puch had loads of documentation and a 64cc head kit. Not sure what that's worth? And it seemed to be a local one all its life.

Boy have got a deal for you.

3uusm1.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account