1977 yamaha Champ

Craig Hoffman /

I rescued a 1977 Yamaha LB80 3d champ from my father-in-laws barn. It belonged to my wife in Junior high. I'm trying to fix it up for a birthday gift I have found many of the parts I need on e-bay and other web sites. I am still looking for the original exhaust and chrome heat shield as well as the luggage rack. I am reaching out to this awesome group to see if anyone might have some connections on where I might be able to acquire one. My school where I teach is closed for the next 4 weeks due to the corona virus and with the social distancing I thought I might use this time to wrangle up some parts and continue on the restoration. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cubby

IMG_2920.JPG

Re: 1977 yamaha Champ

degrease the whole thing, powrewash, wax and buf the paint. I bet the paint is still decent if buffed out. Fenders are unobtainable brittle plastic like the headlight. You do have the rare battery cover. Buy ebay seat cover, shave foam with grinder to make it smooth again and/or add top tin foam before covering. Clean carb, new plug, etc. Might have a rack here but no exhaust. I know a friend might have some spare parts too

Craig Hoffman /

Included a picture after I cleaned it up. Looks a whole lot better!! Compression seems good. Got new parts for the carb and kick starter spring that was broke,new battery, plug etc. Trying to do some body work on the headlight housing. Body seem to be in great shape. So far so good. I have one of my shop students helping me, and kind of turned it into a class project,it's been fun so far. The Corona virus has shut us down for a while so I think I will use the time to work on her solo to keep me from going stir crazy at home. I appreciate all the advice. If you have a carrier I would be willing to deal with you or if you know someone with other parts that would be great. THANKS so much for responding.

Cubby

champ.JPG

Craig Hoffman /

Have cleaned it up and it looks a whole lot better. Cleaned the carb and ordered a few new parts for it. New battery, plug, etc. had to get some parts for the kicker. Would love to deal on a seat carrier if you have one. Also if you have any other connections for parts that would be great. THANKS so much for responding. If this posts twice, sorry I'm having some computer issues.

Thanks again,

Cubby

Looks really good!

Agreed.

punkrock randy /

Not sure if you’re interested in another but there’s one for sale in Holt, MO on Kansas city Craigslist. $750 Not terribly far from ya.

Craig Hoffman /

Not really interested in another rebuild yet, but I'll check it out. Who knows! Thanks

Cubby

Craig Hoffman /

My 1977 Yamaha Champ restoration project is just about complete. Went through just about everything. Rebuilt and cleaned the carb, got great spark. Had it running and thought things were good. One day later won't start. Got gas to the carb, good spark. Took off the carb blew it out. Checked reeds and they look almost new. Put everything back together after about 10 or 12 kicks it took off and ran great again and drove it around. Shut it off two or tree times and started first kick. 6 hours later no go. Great spark, gas running to carb. You pull the choke up and it will start first kick run for about 2 seconds and die. Obliviously not getting gas but I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Cubby

Craig Hoffman /

My 1977 Yamaha Champ restoration project is just about complete. Went through just about everything. Rebuilt and cleaned the carb, got great spark. Had it running and thought things were good. One day later won't start. Got gas to the carb, good spark. Took off the carb blew it out. Checked reeds and they look almost new. Put everything back together after about 10 or 12 kicks it took off and ran great again and drove it around. Shut it off two or tree times and started first kick. 6 hours later no go. Great spark, gas running to carb. You pull the choke up and it will start first kick run for about 2 seconds and die. Obliviously not getting gas but I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Cubby

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account