In search of a moped that looks like Honda Urban Express or Puch Maxi

I am looking for a moped that looks slim and sleek. Bike like tires and 50-70cc as I'm a first time rider. Definitely looking for something under a grand. Anyone have anything?

Re: In search of a moped that looks like Honda Urban Express or Puch Maxi

Angry Hipster /

There is a guy called moppedler on facebook near Austin I think. I would link it but I've gotten rid of facebook.

He sells used peds at reasonable prices and he seems like a decent person from my experience talking with him.

Good luck, be patient, and strike fast. Texas seems to be a funky spot for mopeds. It's a seller's market when you're buying and a buyer's market when you're selling.. not even joking.

Dirty30 Dillon /

You're lucky enough to live near one of the few remaining Brick and Mortar Stores, go see the dudes at Austin Mopeds.

Angry Hipster /

Austin Mopeds Inventory

It looks like they don't have what he is looking for currently. But I don't know how often they update that site.(edited)

Wow awesome, thanks for the tip!

Thanks man! Funny enough, I was messaging this guy from a post on FB Marketplace. Also kudos to you for deleting FB...

These are exactly the style I am looking for. Is there a name for this style?

Angry Hipster /

It seems there are really just two basic styles.

Regular (Underbone) Mopeds

And Top tanks.

You seem to just want a regular moped.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Sounds like you want a moped of the moped variety.

Angry Hipster /

Also I want to help you out with a tip

When buying a Puch Maxi or Newport Make absolute certain that the inside of the fuel tank is clean. That is not only the fuel tank, but the frame of the moped.

This is a safety issue, and as a newb you may not be ready for a frame swap to fix it.

So Maxi or Newport with a rusted tank/frame = DO NOT BUY

Thank you! How should I go about making sure it is clean?

> Jack Totty Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you! How should I go about making sure it is clean?

Look inside it with a flashlight. If you see shiny bare metal, cool you're good it's clean. If you see some little rust spots here and there that's alright as long as it's not leaking. If you see all brown/rust it's best to pass if you're new to the moped game

Captain Janeway /

There's good info in the wiki

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/First_moped

Also Puch is a moped, Urban is a noped which has no pedals and may need to be registered like a motorcycle depending on the state you're in (unless to do the work-around some people use) .

You can find manuals for what you're interested in in projectmoped.com. That along with the wiki will cover most of your basic set-up and maintenance issues. Use them. It will save you headaches.

And yes, avoid the rusty crap for a first time bike. Even if the bike is purdy, put a filter on that fuel line. It will help keep your carb clean longer.

Good luck

Th

Angry Hipster /

Also if someone on here with some good post history and rep offer you a decent deal on a bike don't question it too much.

I sunk time, money, travel into a few decent bikes and offered them at a loss and noobs would often seem to have really good luck and hit me up first but then second guess or not really appreciate the deal I was offering and look elsewhere.

Ya, that kitted Free spirit with brand new tires isn't worth $500.....better ask a bunch of questions then look at other bikes......

It's human nature I guess.

Megasaurass wRexckses /

Facebook isn’t worth it either.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account