Pair of Motrons on the local CL. Look almost new.

Never heard of this brand but it seems like a well made moped from the pictures posted.

Seller has the pair. Almost new. Really hard talking myself out of making an offer.

Red

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/d/millersburg-1980-motron-medalist-moped/6881071212.html

00Z0Z_7DmjiIvRN6M_600x450.jpg
00c0c_9rmxbQeNGR3_600x450.jpg

* Moved to this forum by simon

Re: Pair of Motrons on the local CL. Look almost new.

Never heard of Motron? Wow, okay. Sweet bikes, and those are the nicest I've seen yet. Pricey, but very fine machines.

Probably Fred /

That’s not good protocol to post craigslist stuff on here Unless it’s your ad, someone I know was trying to make a deal with those and you may have ruined it for him thanks a lot buddy! (edited)

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That’s not good protocol to post craigslist stuff on here Unless it’s

> your ad, someone I know was trying to make a deal with those and you may

> have ruined it for him thanks a lot buddy!

Didn't know about that rule. Hope your friend gets them and this thread doesn't screw him over. My apologies.

Mods please delete if needed.

> Jose Leon Wrote:

> Mods please delete if needed.

Don't worry about it, you didn't do anything wrong. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just upset that they couldn't lowball the shit out of this guy

Hey Jose, I didn't know about that rule.... don't know what you posted that was wrong , you just opened up that sale to more people..

Beautiful bikes....I know where one almost as nice resides...I should buy it, but trying to downsize the fleet, not add to it. The "rule" about not posting stuff is not set in stone, I got flamed for doing that yrs ago, I stopped as not worth the flak, but I don't really see the issue, anyone can search cl nationwide if you want? Ken is an og wrench, and I respect all the knowledge he willingly shares on here, but I can't help but wonder where this supposed "code" comes from, it is a "brave new world", commerce wise, and trust me, I'm a dinosaur when it comes to internetting, but if I could find that ad, anyone could. Don't feel bad.

He's had them listed several weeks on CL and ebay. The green one sold but buyer didn't want to pay shipping. Higher than I would want to pay, but they are pretty nice looking and complete. I already have 9, and I don't need a 4th green one or 3rd red one.

Probably Fred /

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> > Jose Leon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Mods please delete if needed.

>

> Don't worry about it, you didn't do anything wrong. Anyone who tells you

> otherwise is just upset that they couldn't lowball the shit out of this

> guy

There is no real rule but I can’t tell you but times on my way to pick up a bike after making a deal from someone on craigslist (not lately, I gave Craigslist up) that I would get a call from the seller stating that somebody is offering him more money, many times from a different state after I’ve already left or already in the sellers driveway,

so sometimes I had to go home empty-handed,

I don’t bother looking for bikes now it’s just not worth it, everybody’s greedy no scruples nowadays so even if people don’t buy the bike they put offers on it that are really high just cause they are jealous or can’t mind their own business.

I sold over 100 mopeds/small motorcycles in my life (and some cars and boat) and I stuck to my deal every time, and the bikes that bought from people (good people) they stuck to their deal to even if they had higher offers,

If you find a bike go there fast, make your deal, don’t post nothing until the bike’s in your possession

The least amount of people that know about it the better so don’t tell the world and mind your own business !

Those bikes were no deal, they are full blown retail (Ohio market) price to begin with

Friend of mine wanted to go buy both and try to get a little bit off so that I wouldn’t say that was a lowball

Red Motron with mags would be worth 600. Other one maybe 500.

And then you will still want to put on new tires, tubes, and rebuild the 40 year old engines...

Pushrod Fifty /

BS there is no rule against discussing something seen on Craigslist. This isnt China or North Korea.

Mitrons are sweet bikes, I like the deep orange.

> John Maxson Wrote:

> BS there is no rule against discussing something seen on Craigslist.

> This isnt China or North Korea.

What makes you think either of those countries have a rule about CL discussions ? LOL

I have no interest in these, but Ken is right.

This is BS for anybody who has dealt with the situation before.

Last 3 or so bikes I was the first person to respond, only to have the seller tell me they are entertaining higher offers.

A seller will always 'entertain' higher offers , even if there are currently none .

Wish in one hand and spit in the other . Which one fills first ?

Money talks and the rest walk . Simple as that .

My most recent purchase was an AMF Minarelli in the Kent, Ohio area, about 60 miles from these Millersburg Motrons. It was listed on both CL and ebay for $250. He had several low ball offers and one for his asking price.

I asked him if I were to "buy it now" on ebay, would that cause any problems with the CL offer he had. He was fine with that. Even though he took a hit with ebay fees, he didn't have to put up with no-shows and other CL bs.

I got a "rare" moped that started up with a petcock, spark plug, and some elbow grease for $250.

So am I a bad guy for grabbing this bike out from under a CL offer for the same price?

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> And then you will still want to put on new tires, tubes, and rebuild the

> 40 year old engines...

Just crank seals and maybe front sprocket shaft seal, Trent, and of course the tubes and tires. Usually no engine rebuild necessary.

To Ken and Avery, I've never had the issue that you guys have for the reason that I don't negotiate before I see a bike in person. If I want something, I meet the seller as soon as possible with cash.

They can tell me about people who have offered them more but I'm there and those people are not. I've never been burned by something like that since people usually understand that someone offering over text on Craigslist is much less of a guarantee than a dude standing in front of them.

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> My most recent purchase was an AMF Minarelli in the Kent, Ohio area,

> about 60 miles from these Millersburg Motrons. It was listed on both CL

> and ebay for $250. He had several low ball offers and one for his

> asking price.

>

> I asked him if I were to "buy it now" on ebay, would that cause any

> problems with the CL offer he had. He was fine with that. Even though

> he took a hit with ebay fees, he didn't have to put up with no-shows and

> other CL bs.

>

> I got a "rare" moped that started up with a petcock, spark plug, and

> some elbow grease for $250.

>

> So am I a bad guy for grabbing this bike out from under a CL offer for

> the same price?

Glad to hear someone on here got that, my friend was interested in getting it as her first moped but it sold before we could meet up with him.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I too have been screwed by Sellers on CL. One time, en route to a Seller's house, the Seller called me to tell me someone had offered him more $ after he had already told me to come get it for the price stated in the ad. He said if I paid him the new higher price, I could have it. I told him to go f*** himself and hung up on him. Not all sellers are like this, but they are out there. No ethics or scruples. (edited)

Pushrod Fifty /

Did anyone see the Batavus on Eastern CL for $250??

I have had really good luck buying and selling on CL. I dont talk money until I am there to see the item and have cash in hand. The last three motorcycles I brought, the sellers trucked them to my house after I checked them out at their place and paid in full plus a small charge for the delivery. I looked at a Yardman moped that really wasnt worth nearly as much as asked, and in cases like that, I just tell them that I cant come close to the asking price, thanks anyway. Mopeds are the most difficult thing to buy because the sellers think that theyhave a gold mine and dont realize the extent of work and money needed to make them road worthy.

I don't think callers that negotiate over the phone have ethics either. The negotiation should be on site with cash. A phone negotiator can say theres a scratch in the paint and offer less than the phone offer. I never heard of a common sense protocol for phone offers. But there was an exception; One guy wanted to buy something of mine in its current condition with plans of a complete restore. So he wasn't worried much about minor details. He also wanted to avoid an hour trip for something listed 600.00 over his price range.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account