What’s this worth?

Looking at this 81 Jawa. What’s a good price? What would you pay?

11C40B66-6E8C-48E6-9DC7-3D54438FE26D.png
F66320F4-738A-40A6-8E3C-E87B04DC57AE.png

Re: What’s this worth?

Pic

6A433136-0339-48FF-8AA9-A44195076B88.png

It looks to be a clean example and an easy fix but being a Jawa I wouldn't buy it for any more than $100 as is. Some may pay up to $250 after looking it over, checking compression et cet and depending on what part of the country they reside. Can't blame the guy for starting at $400 and playing up the antique angle since it's visually in good condition

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

^Agree.

I had a jawa once...

Consider parts availability when purchasing a moped. Mine had ignition issues and it was a pain to get parts and expensive; not sure if that's still the case today.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Some may pay up to $250 after looking it over, checking compression et cet and depending on what part of the country they reside. Can't blame the guy for starting at $400 and playing up the antique angle since it's visually in good condition

/\ Disagree.

Evening running properly with all side covers I would be tickled to get $400 for it if i was selling it. Personally I would want it for $50-$100 range. Maybe if i was just desperate for a project i would consider $125 but nothing more than that. Its an undesirable moped, known for electrical issues, hard to get parts for, and not worth crap once you're done fixing it. If you just have to own it make the guy an offer your cool with and if he says no then you start the waiting game. At $400 that thing is going to rott on craigslist... until he comes down to reality.

Come to Cincinnati and Ill sell you a running Climatti V1 moped for $350. Ride it home.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

^To clarify, the only part that I agreed with is the $100 purchase price limit. Other than that, I agree with Jimmy. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $50 for it.

Shawn Skibicki /

I’ve turned down free Jawas. MAX 50 bucks if it has spark.

Hey thanks guy. I was just looking for a winter project and this popped up close to me. I’ll probably pass...maybe...

^ exactly, I would pay up to $100 potentially as I stated but that's just giving him a "what's it worth" number cause really I wouldn't be interested in a Jawa ever

I believe some one would pay more if they were fixated on it, I bet the seller over paid initially excited about a family project cause the pretty red paint and neat pedals on a motor. Look at the OP interested even with that price, making a thread about it to figure out what to offer realistically. Seller is just fishing and starting high he knows he aint getting that shit

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Jawa part aside, it does look nice. But knowing mopeds you quickly realize its just a polished turd to most. There are a few guys on this site that make those bikes cool but typically those same guys pull them out of a dark corner of their shed when they get bored and go to town... it was probably something they got on the side of a trade or they pulled it from a scrap bin. Few people actually pay good money for Jawas... with some except. An ultra sport or Supreme is worth a few hundo.

I actually have alot of respect for Jawas. If parts were more available i would dabble with them but given the issues they have and the scarcity of stuff (plus lack of aftermarket) it just makes more sense to buy something else.

Dont buy it even for $100. Its not worth flipping and it would make an annoying project bike. Look alittle longer, drive alittle further, and find a better machine.

kevin Smellaflange /

you'll regret spending any real $ ...

get a motobecane or a puch, with more after market punch...just say'in

I once told a fella, who picked up a Jawa free of charge, that he overpaid. I personally, wouldn't walk across the street for one. I feel the same way of Trac.

But my opinion is no less smelly than the next guy's, as it is based solely on heresay, and not personal experiences.

Don't buy it, they will laugh at you! Seriously, buy Jimmy' Cimatti

Actually, spark is the only real major problem with these Babettas. The rest is not terrible (not good either). "Seeing" spark is not always enough. These thyristor equipped nightmares can show spark, but under compression not have enough spark to run. I would bring a can of swtarting ether and see if it will run for a couple seconds on that. If yes $100 max. If not, pass and run.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account