New Here looking for Yamaha YJ1 stuff

IMG_2870.JPG

I picked up a 1965 Yamaha Riverside 55 (YJ1) and am looking for parts .I'm in need of the plastic front fender that is used with the leading link front forks,a muffler,and other things. I am just beginning this project. This was my first motorcycle 53 years ago.

Re: New Here looking for Yamaha YJ1 stuff

Mike Pizzarowski /

It would appear that you’re also missing pedals

Nobody likes a bully. * /

I had a YJ1... until it was stolen. Loved that bike. Good luck finding parts though. Try Ebay and for non-mechanical parts, cross-search with YG1; same engine with a larger cylinder, lots of parts crossover.

Yes,they are great little machines.I loved the one I had way back when it was a new bike.Used to ride it 3 up with my friends and rode it to death,even in the snow,you couldn't keep me off the thing. Guess that's why I'm still on 2 wheels today over 50 years later and have another one now.I'm looking at photos here and say this mid 70's FS-1 that has an exhaust that looks exactly the same as the YJ1 and am wondering if it will fit.

Nobody likes a bully. * /

I think it should bolt up, iirc they have the same case.

Yes,so do I .I just wish I could talk to someone who actually tried this before I go out and spend the bucks on a nice NOS exhaust.

Kelly Fogarty /

Answer is sort of. I got the FS1 exhaust header pipe from Treats and had to hack top a bit so the YJ1 exhaust nut could slide up and screw on. But it worked great and looks much better than the old roached pipe. Plus I was able to keep original muffler. If you get the all in one piece you still will likey have to modify top as exhaust nuts for each are slightly different size.

IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0817.JPG

Thank you so much for that info.This is exactly what I needed to know..I will search the two piece system . it seems it would be easier to alter it than the one piece one. So you are fixing her up I see.I'm glad you decided to go that route. Can't wait to start on mine .(edited)

such a badass bike, like a moped that just graduated and got it's first real job

> Sam Davis Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> such a badass bike, like a moped that just graduated and got it's first

> real job

Yes,It is bad ass for sure.This was my first motorcycle .I bought a new one in May of 1965 when I was 16 years old. Now I'm trying to build another one so when I get too old to ride my BMW K100 I can start going backwards thru my collection of smaller bikes until I leave this Earth riding what I started riding all those years ago. I have a 1965 YJ1 but it needs and I'd like to find a good one or a parts bike that has a good low exhaust pipe and muffler

IMG_2871.JPG

Very nice looking bike Ed. Most of the parts I needed to get mine up and running were found on eBay. Fortunately nothing was super expensive, and there seems to be alot of nos parts available from overseas if you can pay shipping. Finally found a pipe for a decent price but side covers are a challenge. Need to complete the air box too.

1964 YG1

IMG_20190320_134627832_HDR.jpg

IMG_7654A.jpg
IMG_5547a.jpg

That's a really sweet ride ! The things like air box and side covers are pretty easy to locate . It's the exhaust that seems to be the real bitch to find. I'm still searching .I like to get what I need before I start a resto. I mostly restore the Yamaha two stroke twins like this 1965 YDS3 that I have. and this green DS6C that I've owned for47 years

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account