FS: ZA50 Shaft Holding Tools

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I have a few sets of version 2.0 left.

These are used to safely and properly remove and assemble the left-hand nut of the main shaft and the clutch nut on the crank shaft without fear of breaking teeth, damaging the crank, having things come loose and blow through the trans cover, etc...

Left-hand nut: 25-36 ft/lb

Clutch nut: 22-29 ft/lb

These tools make things nice and easy to replace shift pucks and flip second gear clutch, and torque things correctly when you're going back together. Version 2.0 includes two free 1.0M x 20mm bolts to mount the plate to the case, and the bolts are stored in two threaded holes in the plate so you don't lose them.

Only $65.00 per set, shipping is included. Order today, get a tracking number tomorrow. Please PM me to verify that they are still available. If not, i will make more. Thanks, Blaine.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Re: FS: ZA50 Shaft Holding Tools

Oops. Two 6M x 1.0 x 20mm bolts are included.

Nice tools here. I have version 1 and I'm pleased.

Better get them while you can cause nothing last forever fellas.

I've had several requests for just the clutch band tool. If you would like just a band tool, they're only $25, and shipping is included.

Pmd you

PMd again. Thks

Sorry folks. They went quick. 2 have shipped and the third is pending payment, so i am temporarily out of stock. I'm hoping to have more ready in about a week, and they may be version 2.1. Laser cut. So less work for me, but it's gonna cost me. I want to offer them even cheaper, but i'll have to see how much work i have to put in to them and i still haven't gotten a definite on what he's going to burn me for the laser job. (Pun intended)

PM me if you would like me to reserve a set for you from the next batch, and this would also help me get an idea of how many i should have cut.

I do still have a few of the clutch band tools available if you only need the band. I'm still waiting to hear some feedback on how well the fit with the MLM plates, but at this point i don't foresee any issue with them. If there is an issue with them, anyone that has purchased just the band will promptly receive a free updated band.

These tools are only lightly oiled so they will rust if they are not kept oiled and maybe stored in a ziplock baggy. I chose not to paint them to prevent paint from flaking off and transferring onto the cover gasket surface, clutch lining, etc... I'm looking for durable and inexpensive DYI plating method to prevent rust, so i'm open for any suggestions in that department.

I'll bump this thread when more are available, and a thank you once again to everyone that has bought a tool. May you fix many mopeds with them.(edited)

I have received some feedback on the clutch bands and the MLM plate compatibility concern. It's all good.

Plumber why dont you zinc plate it with electrolysis? Diy cheap and easy then oil them.. May not last forever but it is a protective coating.(edited)

Buck Wogers (OFMC) /

AWESOME and a bargain of a price!! Now get busy and mfr a set of nice solid end play gauges!

Thanks Bucky. It sure beats the price of this set.

I'm working on a set of the end play tools, but free time hasn't been on my side lately. The holding plate does however make a nice solid base for at least checking your existing end play of the crank. Using a magnetic base and the plate, you can easily check the end play.

image.jpg

You can obtain a very accurate end-play measurement by using a pocket screwdriver to move the crank back and forth between the webs of the crank and the case with the crank at TDC.

image.jpg

Version 2.1 has arrived. Well almost. I'll be picking up 3 prototypes Saturday to check and make sure they're accurate. Unfortunately they will have no holes, so i'll still need to drill and tap everything by hand. I'm fine with that. Not sure why he can't laser the holes too, but whatever. I've got everything i need to zinc plate them as well as the sodium dichromate conversion coating for an extra layer of protection.

If everything goes well, i should have more available by next weekend or maybe even sooner.

image.jpg

Everything says EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. These damn mopeds are gonna kill me one way or another.

image.jpg

this is v cool and p badass. za50s are friends, not food.

To all of those that have requested a set and have been patiently waiting, thank you. Laser man has been dragging his feet and now he has flaked out on us, so any future plates may have to be done "On the books", so now i'm waiting for an official on the books quote from the big man. If it's too rediculous, i'll be back to carving these things out with a damn torch.

It just sucks because laser man already programmed everything in to the laser cutter already and it's perfect. Come on...Just strap in some 3/8" plate and push "start" already. Oh well, at least he was nice enough to blow out a few pieces for me for now, so i guess i shouldn't complain. I'm just not seeing the big man giving me an reasonable deal on such a small run. They're a big outfit and it's not like i need 500 of them. So instead of laser man making a few bucks after hours, he'll get none now. Whatever.

With the coming 3 day weekend, these should all be ready to ship on Tuesday. Several are spoken for, so as long as i don't brick any of them, maybe 1 or 2 may be available until i figure out where i'm going with the laser deal, so if you would like a set, give me a shout.

I was a bit disappointed because I was unable to get the dichromate finish to bite, but they will be zinc plated which i've had good results with, and now they will have grade 8 "pins" with a bit of a taper on the tips of them to make them a little easier to locate in the holes of the puck plate when the pucks are wasted and the holes may be partially blocked.

As always, all plate and band sets will include two free 6mm mounting bolts and, check this out... I'm gonna throw in a set of shift pucks also. I precision cut these from high quality 95A polyurethane. Not all cut at different angles, or too thick to fit between the plates like others i've seen. They're nice. All for that same great price of $65, free shipping of course.

image.jpg

Great work. Dibs on a set, please!

How many extras of the shift pucks do you have? If you have enough of those to go around, I would want 4 sets of the pucks and one tool set. Don't wanna hog everything though.

Hey Blaine, what are the coordinates fo dis here ho???

I need to drill it into a plate I got from you.

Screenshot_2016-09-01-04-03-42.png

(edited)

^ @pacer.

Ahh yes. Version 0.1B, serial #001...lol. It's a 3/8" hole placed 5/16" from the top edge of the plate. The notch starts at approximately 3/8" wide and tapers to 1/4". Here's a snippet of the blueprint. Basically what you want is the notch to fall along the edge of the plate where a perpendicular line from the center of the crank would meet it. The taper in the notch provides clearance for the welds on the band and the 3/8" hole provides reliefs to place more of the stress closer to the weld instead of all of it on the tip of the tab.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Thank you very much Blaine.

I love the tools you made.....so I got the first or a prototype? ???

Coooolllll.

Thanks man

^ Yes, you were my first, sweetheart. <3 but yours was actually #2. I still have #1.

If i remember right, you had already made something to hold the clutch and just needed the plate to hold the main shaft. And you had to have it fast. So instead of poking a random hole in it, I figured you could do whatever you needed to do to the plate for your tool to work with it. Glad you like it and thank you.

They are ready and shipping out today. One set is still available, and i have a few extra bands and pucks available also. Thank you all.

image.jpg

paid!

Jeremy Homser /

Great product from a great guy!

Woot!

2 day shipment and everything looks awesome. Added to the good sellers list. Keep the gears turning man, there aren't enough of your kind.

Benjamin LaPlante /

a n d y Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 2 day shipment and everything looks awesome. Added

> to the good sellers list. Keep the gears turning

> man, there aren't enough of your kind.

I second this ^ great product!

- Summerai - Benjamin Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> a n d y Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > 2 day shipment and everything looks awesome.

> Added

> > to the good sellers list. Keep the gears

> turning

> > man, there aren't enough of your kind.

>

>

> I second this ^ great product!

Thirded.^^^

Wish I hadn't already bought pucks from treats.

Looking forward to more tools from the tool man Blaine.

Came super fast, great quality. Thanks Blaine!

Thanks guys. Your kind words are very much appreciated. However, after 12 drilling operations and 4 tapped holes per plate, so that's 96 and 32, during assembly after plating, i found that i somehow managed to miss tapping 1 hole. So one lucky duck will be getting a plate with a bit of plating missing on the back side where the tap broke through and i had to clean up the burr. Sorry, It was 3am on D-day and i get up for work at 6:30. I hope the Skittles make up for it. :)

Making the pins from grade 8 instead of grade 5 was a bit more challenging than i anticipated. Ate a whole grinding wheel on them. But i like them much better. The plating started to come out a little blotchy near the end with some frosting around the edges here and there on some of them. Maybe too many things in the bath at the same time. Maybe it's time to change the bath. I'm not sure how well it'll hold up, but, it's there. Just don't store them in your boat i guess.

All 8 have sold, but tomorrow i should be getting my quote on the laser job, so as long as i'm not going to get ass-raped by laser man, i'll try to keep these things available.

As far as the shimming tools are concerned.... Patience Daniel-san.

Very nice tool set Plumber. I know full well about machinists and programmers the flake out.

Hope you find an affordable venue soon. Dont give up.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account