F/S 1953 Kriedler K50 - $1500 - Oldest Kriedler in the US

Justin Shepherd /

I am selling my 1953 K50.

Not only is it the oldest Kriedler in the US, it is also the ONLY known K50.

It has not been restored, so it is as it wold have come and is a 61 year old bike. Motor turns and fires, I have had it running for short intervals.

Recently it was at a shop in Austin getting the brakes relined, new tires, new tubes, new carb and a few other things. It is not running currently because the points are so worn. I have purchased a new set of points for it and they they will go with the bike, I just don't have time or want to really deal with putting them on and adjusting the new carb.

The bike is totally unrestored, the motor has great compression, all seals and gaskets are in tact and the bike is complete.

From what I gather from the Kriedler database and others on here, this is the oldest known Kriedler in the U.S. and the only K50 in the U.S. that anyone I've talked to is aware of.

The below link has some photos of the bike as well as the thread discussion surrounding the rarity of it.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,3596222,page=1

http://www.trabantforums.com/garage/1953-kreidler-k50-moped.7/

I am located in San Antonio, TX

You're welcome to email me here, or call/ text me at 404-397-nine-zero-nine-one. (Text is better and faster during business hours.)

Thanks for looking!

Asking $1,500

Justin (edited)

Re: F/S 1953 Kriedler K50 - $1500 - Oldest Kriedler in the US

what a DICK

Justin Shepherd /

And why am I (or the bike) a DICK?

After all that work I would just wait and change the points so you can take it for a ride. You may decide to keep it.

BOOT2THEHEAD WHERE ARE YOU??

Overpriced Parts /

Ya hang it on the wall in a restaurant or on your Den/man cave wall.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

hmm for the $, i would buy the '32 Kunt in NJ. it will run.

i hope you have providence for it.

i find it hard to believe, it is the only one in the us, i have seen bismarks in hoboken, christsakes

this post reminds me of the lady trying to sell the 56.

restore it, if it is truly as rare as you say. well the sky is the limit, see if jay leno wants to buy it.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

<all seals and gaskets are in tact>

Gaskets can be intact but still deteriorated. I would NOT trust 61 year old seals.

funny the yanks still don't trust the southern boys

61 years on a museum floor; they'd be shot, but I sorta doubt it's actually quite that old. Probably very near that, but I kinda think it's got 5 years lee-way there. It would be cool though.

Being "that rare" is probably how it's hard to find another person claiming theirs is actually a 1953. --then again, I'm just an old Allstate collector, so what do I know?

I have heard from several sources that no one is really sure what qualifies the 1st actual moped. French bikes pretty much began their (what's known as) moped line in 1954, as did Puch. Puch had their bikes name-branded as "Mo-Peds" as early as 1956 for sure, in the US. French "cyclometers" are pretty much like the older motorcycles that had pedals, but smaller of course, and pretty much only bicycle frames, like that Kriedler. The history is blurry, but do believe the first actual coined name: moped, came about from Puch's MS50's, and Alllstates.

This could still be one of those before all those terms came about. (edited)

Justin Shepherd /

Hey Chip,

It's not even so much that, I have other projects ahead of it to finish and I am hoping to being able to move with my job in the next 6-12 months so trying to downsize things. I have a Mini that I still need to finish ahead of it and things to do with my Trabant once winters here. Worst case I can take it with me, but I would rather sell it, recoup what I have in it and let someone who can really appreciate it have it.

Justin Shepherd /

If it doesn't sell I will, if nothing else, it's cool as hell.

Justin Shepherd /

Slewfoot, not really sure why you feel the need to troll or that your post is relevant.

I head the North American Trabant community which is a different vehicle, but my reputation with that community is one of being very honest and knowledgeable. If I gave incorrect information or misrepresented myself even with a scooter, that would trickle back to me and damage my reputation in my Trabant Community (Especially because I have it listed for sale there too and a link back to my moped army post in the advert)

If you would buy a different bike, then go for it. If you don't believe that mine is as rare as I say, then verify it with http://www.kreidlerdatabase.nl/ That guy runs the international registry for Kreidlers.

As I said in my original post:

"From what I gather from the Kriedler database and others on here, this is the oldest known Kriedler in the U.S. and the only K50 in the U.S. that anyone I've talked to is aware of. "

Could there be others, sure, but if there are, no one else knows about them. I didn't say with all out authority that it's the only one or the oldest I said it's the only KNOWN one and the only KNOWN oldest.

Bottom line, if you feel the need to troll, do it elsewhere.

Justin Shepherd /

Moped Lar,

I feel your comment is negative, unwarranted and trolling. As I said in the advert:

"Motor turns and fires, I have had it running for short intervals."

"The bike is totally unrestored, the motor has great compression, all seals and gaskets are in tact and the bike is complete."

What's NOT in the advert is that I had it at a shop in Austin TX that is one of the best known in the state. He got through everything but putting the new carb on and the points.

I ordered points from Germany and were sent the wrong ones, by the time I was able to track down the correct ones, he said he wanted me to come pick it up, it had been up there for 4-5 months. Hence why points and setting the carb are my responsibility.

That said, his words were "that motor is perfect from everything I can tell, I wouldn't touch it."

If you need further verification, the place is called Flash Motorbikes in Austin, TX, ask for Jeremy.

Justin Shepherd /

I didn't say it was the oldest moped in the world or country, but I do know it's correct. It has a VIN plate that is quite obvious it's never been removed and the VIN plate is what pulled up all the information on it.

That said, the K50 was only made between 1950 and 1955. So it's not possible to be newer than a '55

As far as rarity is concerned. Check any sites in Europe for a Kreidler K50 for sale. I can tell you there are very few and they are a lot more than $1500. In worse shape than what everyone seems to think mine is in.

Justin Shepherd /

Steve, I'm starting to think no one on here trusts anyone.

Justin Shepherd /

One thing I did forget to say in my responses.

I priced it the way I did after consulting with Flash Motorbikes in Austin as well as a good friend of mine in Montreal who runs a moped shop and they said to price it at $2,500

both of them also said that these old Kreidlers are considered to be the Rolls Royce of mopeds.

I know nothing about mopeds so I trust their judgement

Hey man, I just been in this game an awful long time is all. I have heard many years thrown around. I'm not concerned with your year being exact because it trully is hard to find true information. I'm sure you've investigated.

--but seals that old are pretty much positively cracked and dried up, even if they are there and look pretty on the outside. You say it "fires up." How about telling us how well it rides and the top speed? If you can't trust it around the block, then your price is unfair. You are asking a price for an actual running bike, not one that simply fires up for a minute or so.

I like your bike, and I have no problem with you. Your bike should speak for itself, instead of you having to make excuses for it though.

*also everyone on here are cheap-skates. You have a far better chance getting what you want out of it, advertising it privately. Sad, but everyone here is pretty much used to dirt cheap deals. They've become accustomed to it. (edited)

Justin Shepherd /

I know you don't have problems with me, you don't know me to have a problem and I am not taking it personally.

Again, if you have questions or concerns, then reach out to Flash Motorbikes on it, go over what you want. And yes the price may be "high" compared to your common variety mopeds that are easy to find....

One thing I said in a recent post was I priced it the way I did after consulting with Flash Motorbikes in Austin as well as a good friend of mine in Montreal who runs a moped shop and they said to price it at $2,500

both of them also said that these old Kreidlers are considered to be the Rolls Royce of mopeds.

I know nothing about mopeds so I trust their judgement

They told me to price it at $2500 as it was before getting it new brakes, carb, tires etc.

I also am unaware of what excuses I'm making for the bike. I think I've been pretty honest and forthcoming even providing more than I have to.

I've also made it apparent that I have other projects outside of this that take precedence. I'm not a moped person, even if I did keep it and get it running, its so rare and parts can be difficult to track down, that I wouldn't ride it anyway.

My issue is that pretty much no one whose responded to this thread has interest in the bike. With the exception of a few people, most have just used this to down the bike or troll on it.

Not to sound like a total ass, but if someone is interested and wants one, well i wish you luck in finding another.

I found a few for sale in Europe (since no others are for sale here)

This one is 1500 Euros which is about $1940 US - It doesn't run needs tires, a carb float and is spray painted:

http://www.markt.de/moped+motorroller/moped+kreidler+k+50+modeljahr+1953+betriebserlaub+1954+oldtimer/absIndex,1/categoryId,1107000000/keywords,kreidler+k50/rView,list/recordId,fbe750e2/expose.htm

Here is another for 1050 Euros which is about $1400 USD in very similar condition to mine.

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/fietsen-en-brommers/brommers-kreidler/m846947646-kreidler-k50-1952.html?c=efb2ef4dc323389c4f92ed10afa33e3a&previousPage=lr

Those are the only 2 I could find for sale that had an actual price listed on it.

Hell a rusty motor is 250 Euros alone

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/fietsen-en-brommers/brommeronderdelen-kreidler/m837647745-kreidler-j-50-k-50-motorblok.html

Maybe all of that puts things into perspective a little bit.

I've seen old allstates go for very near 4000 dollars, so your price isn't very out of range by any means. Your links are only what people are asking, not actually getting, you understand.

Mechanics are very like used car salesmen.

You simply can't advertise your bike as a running bike though. Maybe that's all that really rubs me wrong. I can start a few bikes I have, but I'd never ride them, the way they are, and there's alot to still do to them. Most people here know that about bikes. You have a project bike. It is nice. You sort of sound foolish quoting some off the wall mechanic though, because I trust so few, compared with what even people here can do so much better than most of the ones out there in a shop. Not many actual "moped shops" even in the entire US... so most shops I take with a grain of salt, if they choose to give an opinion. Most of them act like they know, but don't at all. You moped is very specific. NO way these mechanics really know anything about it. I know that for sure, so asking your mechanic what your bike is like is stupid for me to even consider.

I think you ran out of resources and patience before you really know what you even own, and just wanna get rid of it for what you think you can. You might get it. I hope you do... but sadly you probably won't move it here.

Most everyone that wheels and deals on this site is so far ahead of any mechanic you could bring it to... I suppose that's where I get the word "excuse." --that and "it fires up," as if you think everyone here assumes that means it runs. Like I said, this just isn't the place to ask full price for a non-runner, even if it is really worth that much. Still... who sold one similar to it lately? look at those "sold" prices instead of asking prices. They differ quite extensively.

Oh, and don;'t talk down to people here. Ya make enemies that way. You aren't the golden moped holder, even if you were told you are. Most people don't enjoy riding those 20mph bicycle-type mopeds. I love them, but most people on here are bratty kids with a speed agenda and a 50 dollar maxi and a pathetic flat black spray-job.

Get perspective. Know who you are dealing with. You posted this in a nest of degenerates for the most part, so feel good you even got responses at all. In my book, YOU are the troll here, so using that against this place is kinda redundant. You don't know anyone here, or even participate, but you seem to know how you should be treated. Perspective.

edit: By the way, I love Trabants! and don't worry.. I bet you can sell that bike more local, which is FAR easier, and for near your price, probably as well... just hard to do here. It's hard to type and sound nice, but I'm trying to be nice. You seem very offended with the feedback, but it's a learning experience. This forum's gotten brattier and brattier since it started. If you deal here, you need to know that. (edited)

hahaaa, oh wow. I just read all the previous posts. Calling normal (very input-type) guys here trolls probably lost you every point you might have had. You "run" a site (like this?) and don't know how to treat people. You got a lot to learn, but hey... we all do.

Your profile, and its declaration of how many posts you have here; qualifies you as #1 troll. If you don't get it, then you plain don't want to.

I truthfully have good hopes for your bike sale. It's a cool bike in very good shape, so I have nothing more to really say, other than it's kinda dum telling a forum how to treat you, when you aren't even really a part of it. Don't ask why people are dissing you anymore, cause I just told ya. (edited)

that bike actually runs 55 kph and was built to ride on flats and thru the alps.

germany didn't have many cars after the war, 60% of them rode kreidlers.

no way is it a solex. (edited)

Overpriced Parts /

~ DeeZy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've seen old allstates go for very near 4000

> dollars, so your price isn't very out of range by

> any means. Your links are only what people are

> asking, not actually getting, you understand.

>

> Mechanics are very like used car salesmen.

>

> You simply can't advertise your bike as a running

> bike though. Maybe that's all that really rubs me

> wrong. I can start a few bikes I have, but I'd

> never ride them, the way they are, and there's

> alot to still do to them. Most people here know

> that about bikes. You have a project bike. It is

> nice. You sort of sound foolish quoting some off

> the wall mechanic though, because I trust so few,

> compared with what even people here can do so much

> better than most of the ones out there in a shop.

> Not many actual "moped shops" even in the entire

> US... so most shops I take with a grain of salt,

> if they choose to give an opinion. Most of them

> act like they know, but don't at all. You moped is

> very specific. NO way these mechanics really know

> anything about it. I know that for sure, so asking

> your mechanic what your bike is like is stupid for

> me to even consider.

>

> I think you ran out of resources and patience

> before you really know what you even own, and just

> wanna get rid of it for what you think you can.

> You might get it. I hope you do... but sadly you

> probably won't move it here.

>

> Most everyone that wheels and deals on this site

> is so far ahead of any mechanic you could bring it

> to... I suppose that's where I get the word

> "excuse." --that and "it fires up," as if you

> think everyone here assumes that means it runs.

> Like I said, this just isn't the place to ask full

> price for a non-runner, even if it is really worth

> that much. Still... who sold one similar to it

> lately? look at those "sold" prices instead of

> asking prices. They differ quite extensively.

>

> Oh, and don;'t talk down to people here. Ya make

> enemies that way. You aren't the golden moped

> holder, even if you were told you are. Most people

> don't enjoy riding those 20mph bicycle-type

> mopeds. I love them, but most people on here are

> bratty kids with a speed agenda and a 50 dollar

> maxi and a pathetic flat black spray-job.

>

> Get perspective. Know who you are dealing with.

> You posted this in a nest of degenerates for the

> most part, so feel good you even got responses at

> all. In my book, YOU are the troll here, so using

> that against this place is kinda redundant. You

> don't know anyone here, or even participate, but

> you seem to know how you should be treated.

> Perspective.

>

> edit: By the way, I love Trabants! and don't

> worry.. I bet you can sell that bike more local,

> which is FAR easier, and for near your price,

> probably as well... just hard to do here. It's

> hard to type and sound nice, but I'm trying to be

> nice. You seem very offended with the feedback,

> but it's a learning experience. This forum's

> gotten brattier and brattier since it started. If

> you deal here, you need to know that.

I would also add that you know nothing about moped or moped culture. Your museum piece does not fit or belong here it is pretty much a useless bike even if it was mint and running perfectly you couldn't use it very much except for the occasional ride because you would wear out piston, cylinder, parts or break parts that couldn't be replaced or even found.

We ride our bikes here. Many here use mopeds for transportation their sole means of transportation. I myself ride in all but the worst weather and will take a moped to go shopping if it's two bags of groceries or less.

Like I said I'm thinking a wall or shelf is best place for your bike. If you want to sell your bike find a motored theme restaurant to buy your bike and hang it or shelf it on a wall with other memorabilia because it's useless except for a museum piece or a maybe find a rich collector (like Jay Leno) who has a full machine shop and or mechanics to fix or make any parts that are needed .

For the right person you maybe able to get what you want for your bike but I don't think any of us are that right person

♣Slew Foot♣ /

i don't think i was trolling, i was expressing in a colorful way that the facts are its old, not running, no title was mentioned.

there was a lady that wanted 1500 for a 56 sachs, a very simular bike in a very simular condition. even if i were offered a batavus whippet in the same condition for the price i would pass, even tho they pull in an asking price of 4000+ euros restored.

basicly it boils down to a really expensive restoration project, the rarer it is the harder it is to procure parts and then they are pricey used parts.

ever see harley dirt track racers from the 40's, 50's? the shop here has a string of 12 of them. the guy also restores cushmanns and vintage scooters.

across the street from me is a garage that specializes in restoring antique/exotic cars. i actually know how much it costs to restore something propperly.

oh the advertized rolls royce of mopeds is motobecane BTW.

i don't want to put you down or anything just give you a reality check.

i once owned a 71 puch, it was a special factory ordered bike. i loved it cared for it, it was an alpine climber. it was stolen, i had fullboat insurance on it. the locating and cost of a cylinder, head and piston was enough for the ins. co to just total the bike and pay me 2 grand.

i bought a sachs hercules p-1 for $75 after all the parts that were needed and the cost of titling it, it is about $675 without the hours and hours of labor put into it tabulated, its a $500 bike that is what it is worth and i don't fool myself.

MopedLar is one of the nicest, knowledgable and most trusted members of this community.

everyone thinks rust is gold, reality check, btw bismarks were a pre wwii moped 1919-39.

sorry, if i came off a little harsh. just thats a seriously expensive mancave art object as it is.

So what I've learned in this thread, and in adding to the above mentioned objectivity, the item offered is an artifact. It is an archetypical sampling of such type vehicles built in the era it was marketed. Few have survived in complete and good condition such as this Kreidler.

Due to the technological limitations in the age of this machine, it has little to no practical value other than aesthetic and speculative interests. These limitations eliminate the perceived compensatory value to most users of this forum since their value system clearly lies elsewhere.

I very much appreciate and admire the item in it's existing condition. Perhaps it will realize the compensatory value that Justin seeks if offered in a more appropriate marketplace.

In other words: GLWS, and I wish you well.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account