Looking for first ped to build on. really small budget, will consider rougher condition bikes. HELP? :)

Hey all, I'm new around here, and haven't found my first bike yet.

I want to build a custom. I'm looking for a bike that's mechanically solid, and running, but may be scratched up, a bit dinged, light surface rust here and there... It just can't have any frame rust that affects the integrity of the frame structure, and the frame cant be tweaked out of shape. I have a really small budget right now, unfortunately, but am dying to get on my first ped, and start hunting for or building/re-purposing just the right kinds of parts to make the ped all my own. My preference as it stands, is basically late 70's step-throughs' (Puch Maxi hard tail, with any luck at all, but also interested in a Motobecane 40T, or maybe another hard tail if it speaks to me when I look at it... Hard tail is what I'm most after, but something that can be easily turned into a hard tail later, would be ok too, if it meets enough of my other criteria) I want something that engine, and drivetrain parts are more easily available for, and something that has an engine (already) which can stand up to daily riding, right away, without putting cash into it immediately. (And I'm 125lbs, which is a great benefit when it comes to even 50cc peds.) My dream is to start with a solid (as minimalistic as possible) base from which to build, and come up with a daily rider I can set up with clip-ons up front, and a Brooks suspension saddle, when I can afford it. I don't want rack space, and all kinds of extras, or at least, I want to be able to remove as much as I can, easily) I basically want to end up with a low center of gravity bike, once I'm done changing a few aspects of the bike, but I know I don't have to explain this. I see there are MANY MANY of you who enjoy setting up bikes the same way. Essentially I want to make a somewhat custom daily rider, and I am considering making it my ONLY transportation, YEAR ROUND! (I work from home, as a woodwind reed maker for a living) I have no children, wife, girlfriend, or other family to drive around, and even though I have access to a car, I want to get to a point, where my ped is all I need, to get around.

I'm located in Clarkston Michigan, and have been checking craigslist several times a day, for all of metro Detroit, and Flint, but haven't found anything I like enough, yet.

Does anyone close enough to me, have any bikes that you think might interest me? I'm open to all kinds of different stuff, really! (even if I just find a cheap bike to ride, and help pacify my lust for two wheels, while I continue my search for the bike I will build my first custom from) I sure hope I track at least SOMETHING down soon, because the obsession to find a bike, is making everyone who knows me, crazy!! ;)

I know I've said a lot here, but I'm really excited to become a new rider, and custom builder! I'll be 42yrs of age in December, and I can't believe I've waited so long to find this passion, but better late than never, right? :)

Re: Looking for first ped to build on. really small budget, will consider rougher condition bikes. HELP? :)

So what is your budget? Lots of people here from your area that may be able to help you find something. The guys and gals of Motor City Riot will be a great resource for you.

Re: Looking for first ped to build on. really small budget, will consider rougher condition bikes. HELP? :)

Thanks

Well, either way, whether just a beat up but running bike to get on and start riding, or a base bike to start building on, I was hoping just a few hundred if at all possible, just to get me going. My budget changes from week to week, depending on how much work I have at the time. The past couple of months have been a little slow going, but it should be picking back up pretty well, around the end of this month, or beginning of next. Some orders I fill are worth $200 and some are worth $1200, and It's hard to know which will come in, when, and my bills usually eat a big chunk of the large orders. Sometimes business is awesome, and other times, not so hot.. Also, my dad has been making threats that he's going to buy a new Honda Ruckus, for the past couple years, and I am going to try and convince him that a solid moped would be more fun. He just recently sold a piece of property in northern Michigan, he's has since I was a kid, but never built on, so has a little extra cash in his account... I would love to have something enjoyable to do with my dad. We don't have a lot in common, but this kind of stuff, we actually do have in common... and neither of us are getting any younger... He's in his mid 60's, but is still interested in little bikes of some kind.... Now I just have to try and sway him toward mopeds...

I'm really starting to lean more and more to a Puch Maxi N, if I can find one. I really would love to have that hard tail frame to base my project on. And to me, they just look amazing as-is, minus all the extra bits, just stripped down to as few parts as possible, but set up with a stiffener bar up top, clip-ons, and a nice Brooks suspension saddle...

Leila Bozorg /

Hey There, just emailed you a pic of a hardtail maxi frame I have. good luck!

Thx! checking now! :)

Hey Leila, I don't see anything anywhere, in my email.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account